HybridZ

Major Rant

Chaparral2f

Yep, my 1960 Corvair still has the card that says to write to Helm to get the domestic stuff GM wise... So does my 1990 dually, so chances are if they were doing it from 1959 to 1990, chances are they are still the place to look today.

Just a guess...

After reading this thread..........I am now confused as to who

is actualy doing the ranting :lol:

IMHO Chiltons always sucked.

Motors Manuals was always my choice for the OLD back yard stuff.

Factory is always BEST.

I think the Haynes is not that bad for the S30.FSM better.

Motors Manuals were the choice of independent garages for years. They directly copied many of the sections of the Factory Manuals.

I would put them right next to Factory Manuals---they were tools for professionals.

Rarely, if ever, will you find a Haynes, Chiltons, etc in a real car shop unless it's a really obscure thing and they need a specification.

I mean hell man, some of them can't get the FIRING ORDER CORRECT on a Datsun L-6! :D

Yep, my 1960 Corvair still has the card that says to write to Helm to get the domestic stuff GM wise... So does my 1990 dually, so chances are if they were doing it from 1959 to 1990, chances are they are still the place to look today.

Just a guess...

I'm sorry, but the JY forgot to give me the card whenI got the column.

As for Motors Manuals I agree, but I think they aren't available any more, or at least I haven't seen them in quite a while. If I'm wrong, I'd love to have a source for them.

Google "GM SERVICE MANUALS" and Fifth Suggestion was Helm, Inc

Couple of clicks got me here:

Slothless Clicky for Manuals

Enter what the JY told you the year and model was and you have the order blank online for the appropriate service manual.

Like this one, only $150 for the SET!

I revert to my original statement regarding easy access of manuals for domestic vehicles in today's market. Though I was amazed to realize that Helm did ALL the domestics. Imagine that... B)

Edited by Tony D

Google "GM SERVICE MANUALS" and Fifth Suggestion was Helm, Inc

Couple of clicks got me here:

Slothless Clicky for Manuals

Enter what the JY told you the year and model was and you have the order blank online for the appropriate service manual.

Like this one, only $150 for the SET!

I revert to my original statement regarding easy access of manuals for domestic vehicles in today's market. Though I was amazed to realize that Helm did ALL the domestics. Imagine that... B)

the way late model cars are built this could be a very good electrical challenge.i would assume that the assist changes with speed-full assist at parking lot speed and no assist on the freeway for good steering feel.probably takes commands from another ecm on the car somewhere.

For some peolle, the knowledge they gain reading the book would justify the cost.

For others, with blinders on, I guess they would focus on the financial right-at-hand issue and miss the big picture of self improvbement, interdisciplinary knowledge base enrichment, and the possiblity that asset recovery costs would offset it after knowledge was gained.

Then again, if $150 is a serious stumbling block to completion (or the fact that some dealers in small hick towns might just print off the diagram if simply askedis laid aside) you might want to reconsider the hobby you have chosen to profess to engage...

I merely pointed out the 'can't see the forest through all the trees' nature of your lame excuses. That's all. no need to get bitter about it. Sorry I gave you the resources to solve your problem. Figure it out your way. You have been so successful in your no-expense quest thus-far! :lol:

I remember, from many years ago, a thought from the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". The protagonist has had a problem with his motorcycle. He has disassembled it, fixed the problem, and is in the process of reassembly. As he works, he discovers that he has lost a bolt, one which is important to complete the job. It is an unusual bolt, one which cannot be easily substituted for. Until he finds the bolt, the motorcycle will not operate - it is worthless, valueless. The thought occurs to the character that it is no longer a meaningfully a motorcycle, but only a group of components; without that one, single component, it has no utility, cannot function, has no worth at all: in fact it has become a liability. No bolt, no use: with bolt, utility. At that moment, then, the value of the bolt is equal to that of the entire, functional machine.

Your situation is similar. Without the manual, and the understanding that comes with it, your project is valueless, useless, and even a liability. Without the knowledge in the manual, it will stay that way. Thus the manual is worth the value of your entire project. $150 seems like a pretty good deal.

Edited by strotter

I thought I just said that, though with sarcasam... B)

How much is 10 gallons of water?

What would a man on fire pay for the same 10 gallons if it was the only source?

If you put your conditioned intellect to rest for a long time, suddenly it will be like the bottom falling out of a bucket -- then you will naturally be happy and at peace.

If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....

This Work is not some kind of excitement, but concentration on our usual everyday routine.

All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence.

Become the rack.

Edited by Tony D

Here are a few things for you to consider.

1 A retired knuckle dragging tuck driver, such as myself, doesn't generally have money dribbling out his rear end.

2 This rant wasn't about the problems with the power steering. It was about the uselesness of so called "repair manuals".

3 Perhaps, if you had bothered to look, you might have noticed that this was posted LAST YEAR!!!

Oh and by the way, I solved the problem with the steering back in January 2010. But thanks for your concerns for my intelectual capacity.

Let me know how that electric power steering mod turns out, that's a cool adaptation. That could prove very handy!

Thank Aaron D, not Tony D for Necroposting.

Still doesn't change the facts of anythign posted.

Thanks for sharing with us all how you solved the electric power steering integration issue, it was as helpful as a Chilton's Manual...

Nothin' to it. I have an aquaintance with a Cobalt, so I unplugged his and traced the wires. As for how it worked, I don't know yet. So far I've modified the column to accept the Nissan switches, and just started mounting it. I do know that it is short enough to fit in the cabin even with the firewall moved back 4". Sorry about the pic, I'll take more when I get home from Portland.

post-249-053359200 1278116954_thumb.jpg

Nothin' to it. I have an aquaintance with a Cobalt, so I unplugged his and traced the wires. As for how it worked, I don't know yet. So far I've modified the column to accept the Nissan switches, and just started mounting it. I do know that it is short enough to fit in the cabin even with the firewall moved back 4". Sorry about the pic, I'll take more when I get home from Portland.

Not bad for a "knuckle drager", and small mind,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait a minute,,,,,someting coming to me,,,,

Naw, false alarm, just need to exponge my rectom.