HybridZ

Rattle can woes

Wilson_WWSC

People familiar with rattle can paint, such as rustoleum or krylon, how do I get rid of the streaks you get when painting large surface? If I need to reapply paint, can I only do it to the portion that needs it (it is a continuous surface, but only a part of it has streaks). I've tried some polishing compound on a cloth, that does little to nothing. Any suggestions?

I used a rustoleum matallic color and went to town on the prep work mines looked as if it were painted with a gun. But with other colors and brands the actual cap on them sprays in a circle pattern. The cans i had sprayed in a vertical (up and down) direction which gave better spray pattern. It also depends how close you are, temperture, and how well you mixed the paint. As for getting all the streaks i just let it dry a while the did more coats till i couldnt see any more. If its black your spraying good luck i learned my lesson never again will i try it. Hope that made any sense at all.

Hey, another local Z owner :mrgreen:.

As the person above wrote, you might be able to apply more coats of paint to conceal it to save some time.

What I would do is wet sand the entire peice that your working on and re-spray it again and hopefully it turns out better. The problem is the paint, rustoleum and krylon are really crappy and like the person above posted spray in a circular pattern that make it hard to use. They are also very thin, as in watered down which forces you to paint it really close at times and needing to use alot of paint to cover a large surface.

What color are you trying to paint it?

Not to go too far off topic but where in Elk Grove are you located?

I have a shop (Diesel repair) on waterman rd next to radial tire, and will soon be opening a performance shop with my father in the next few weeks nearby on Dino off of waterman rd.

It looks a little better, but for now, I will keep it this way until I have more time to work on it (school down in LA). I'm near Elk Grove blvd and Franklin. Will definately check out ur shops spring break, if you guys are open then. A few of the shops I used to check out have gone away in the past couple years.. GL to you.