HybridZ

78 280 carb swap

WOW!! That was easy!!!

A BIG THANK YOU to Paul (BRAAP)!! for pointing out that the fuel pump switch in the 78 is controlled by the oil pressure gauge, and NOT in the AFM like the earlier EFI cars. Another thanks to TonyD for helping me to visualize the FPR setup. You guys both ROCK!!!

Just about the entire setup came out of the racecar, sans fuel delivery. I used the stock 78 pump and the FPR out of the racecar - Aeromotive 13204. Plumbed it in as Tony D suggested as a true bypass (regulator is the last item in the chain before the return to the tank) and voila - 3.5psi of pressure from the get-go.

The carbs were already dialed in exactly on the racecar motor, so it was as simple as a motor swap with a couple hose end fittings and a little re-routing of fuel lines. I was worried that I'd have to monkey around with figuring out how to bypass the fuel pump switch in the AFM (I rode the short bus to Electronics 101) but there was no such problem.

So - this is just going out there as "informational" to anyone wanting to do a carb swap on a 78 while using the stock EFI pump. The Aeromotive regulator will get you where you need to be, and the EFI hard lines are already setup as a true bypass return setup, so nothing had to be modified at all. Stock pump works like a champ.

The turbo motor setup going in the racecar is probably not going to be as forgiving!!

Z2_Stroker_1.jpg

Z2_Stroker_4.jpg

The racecar is actually the white one in my sig. The entire buildup (until about a month before I got it going) can be found at:

http://www.hangoverture.com/73240.htm

I really need to update the site with all the rest of the pics and commentary. Course, now it's almost a "start over" with the turbo and MegaSquirt....

• 7 months later...