HybridZ

Slotted shifter plate a la lambo

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

http://www.stormbirds.org/~lambocars/framed/murcielago/muri5.htm

thumbnail bottom lh corner. eyeball the chrome shifter plate that is slotted for the gearshift and is marked for each gear.

What i was thinking, was how classy a sqaure piece of brushed alunimum slotted for a short shifter would look in our consoles. It could even say "Datsun" or "280z" on it and it would be marked for gears. No longer is there a need for a shift boot, and the metal guide should make shifts more positive and less harsh on the tranny as you can't overshift...

Not to mention the extreme BLING factor. :D

What do you guys think? Im all for fabbing something...i am designing it in my head as i type.

You might want to contact Eric Nyerlin. His display name is Sleek Z. I talked with him as he was photographing a gated shifter on a 250 GTO replica (I think) at the '02 West Coast Nationals show. Perhaps Eric got the photo or knows who owned the car. That way you could get some first hand idea on how it is to use a gated shifter. I believe the gate was from a real Ferrari. Eric frequently posts to Hybrid Z but here are the addresses for Eric's site and email.

www.zparts.com

zcarz@attbi.com

John

gated shifters look trick, but almost every road test I have seen dogged 'em for difficulty. Obviously, with an internal gated shifter it is nothing but cosmetic, so if you build one make sure you leave sufficient clearance that as soon as the handle clears the internal gates that it is not hampered by the cosmetic gate or shifting quality and speed may suffer.