HybridZ

Pinion angle on JCI LS1/T56 swap

I am in the process of doing an LS1/T56 swap in my 78' 280Z, using JCI parts. I am also getting the Ron Tyler mount for the rear-end. My question: With this swap is it necessary or desirable to change the pinion angle? I apologize if this has been discussed at nausea before; maybe I am not finding the right wording for my forum search.

I would say no, not necessary. When making my mount for the Q45 rear, I just put the diff in the Mustache bar, and used a jack on the front of the diff to raise it up until it was parallel with the ground. Haven't had an issue yet, and it has held up to some 1.4 60ft. launches.

You're on the right path. The RT mount makes getting the pinon angles a lot easier. You will want to lower the nose of the diff father than you can with the stock mount. On my car I actually had to cut away about a half inch off the top of the crossmember to get the nose low enough.

Just add washers between the new rubber mount and the diff untill the front and rear angles match.