HybridZ

Well, I voided my autometer warranty...

Guest Mr. Big Business

Guest Mr. Big Business

big time!

1043569798.192.168.0.3.jpg

I am in the process of replacing all of the gauges in my '71 with autometer phantoms. I went with fuel (using ford version), water temp, and oil pressure for the pods (all electric), and the 5 inch tach and electric speedometer, for the T56.

I puzzled for quite a while wondering how to get the new speedo and tach in without resorting to weatherstripping or black caulk. (no offense to those who took that route) I was comparing to the old tach, and I noticed that the casing was almost identical, with exception of the autometer bezel on the front. After much deliberation, I used a dremel to cut off the front of the brand-new never-been-tested tachometer. (yes, I am insane) I went through about 6 dremel cut-off wheels for the tach alone.

The depth of the can was the same of the old one, and lo and behold, it fits in the stock bezel/tube!

1043569830.192.168.0.3.jpg

Since the old one was held in with some screws, I used epoxy to hold in the new one, after cleaning all of the dust out of everything.

I had thought that the new tach's mounting posts were in the same position as the stock one, but sadly, they are off by about 1 hours worth of clock rotation, so the gauge looked crooked in the dash. I just epoxied (I'm loving this stuff) the bezel to the dash, for both the tach and the speedo. I think I'll still get some black caulk and goop it on the back side of the dash, just to make sure both of those big gauges are secure, since the stock bezel is the only thing holding them on. I put some LED's (radio shack specials) into the tach bezel right in front of the "glass" for the turn signal, brake, and highbeam indicators.

1043569878.192.168.0.3.jpg

They are just being test-fit in that picture. So far I'm pretty happy with how 'stock' they look.

There are more pictues here.

Henry

Guest 240hybrid

Impressive. coollook.gif thats a good idea...Gauge looks good from the pics. I like the lights in the tach tunnel too. Are you going to put a shift light in the tunnel tube also?