HybridZ

Racing seat standards?

Nismo280zEd

Ok so i went to re-upholstery shops today to get quotes to redo my front seats the way i would like them, but i didn't like the price too well. 995 for leather 770 for fake stuff. So i figured at this price i can get some racing seats and some harneses later.

Seeing as i have a 2+2 having acces to the rear is a must for me.

The question to stump you is, do all these import racing seat manufacturers have a spec the seats have to meet in safety? would they be allowed in SCCA racing if i ever deiced to run for fun? or are they just pretty plastic with covers that taco when actually used (accident) any info would be great. thanx guys

Guest Night_rider_383

Not sure about SCCA rules, but the poly race seats sold under summit brand, jegs brand, or name brand jaz meets NHRA and IHRA rules for safty.

I bought a set of the black summit poly seats with red/black covers, and to me thay feel and look pretty darn solid. It looks like the same stuff some of the newer pick, and axe handles are made out of. I bought one of the axe handels when they 1st came out about 10 years ago, if i'm right about the seats made from the same type plastic then I would say they are much safer seats than OEM seats

I had a set of those JAZ seats in my old CJ I've rolled that thing a few times and the seats held up real good. they were used when I got them and were about 10 years old when I sold them. last I knew they were still in the CJ and are about 15 now. Not bad for $75 bucks at a swap meet!! Keith

If you're going to run on a race track (any race track) look for seats that meet or exceed the 24g 8855-1999 FIA homologation standards. Sanctioning bodies are starting to enforce this due to pressure from their liability insurance companies.