HybridZ

Old Mech. Injection setup converting to turbo EFI Intake.

1 fast z

I bought a few of these old boat hydroplane intakes a few years ago, with the intentions of making them into an efi setup. Well I had to change the manifold gasket on my 77 280z turbo this week. So I figured while I had the manifold off, what better excuse to make a ITB turbo intake for it. SO this is what I have come up with so far. It uses 44mm throttle plates, and full tapered runners. I built .75" radius velocity stacks on the inside for better flow entrance. The velocity stacks are also fully polished. I also lightened up the intake as much as possible on the peices that I built. I see alot of custom intakes, and I have one word, HEAVY. SO as you can see I milled out the velocity stack plate for maximum weight removal. I also like making intakes as much of a bolt on as possible. So I utilize the stock throttle linkage. I fitted the TPS inside the cab also, since with Megasquirt, you can program WOT, and Closed throttle, and it takes a linear function from those two points. I have not installed the injectors yet, but they will be ABOVE the throttle plates for better fuel atomization. This is just my daily driver z at the moment, and I wanted a bit more power.

mechinjec1.jpg

mechinjec2.jpg

mechinjec3.jpg

mechinjec4.jpg

mechinjec5.jpg

mechinjec6.jpg

I'll have to talk to you about that plenum adapter setup...

Then again, the EFI conversion (injector) part will be easy for me, Hillborn makes a retrofit kit for their setups. And I now got the Hillborn setup! But that still leaves the one like yours that I will have to convert. How are you mounting the injectors, in bungs near the plenum (like you said, before the plates)? I don't want to modify the manifold at all.

Correct, like you I will not cut up or modify the actuall manifold. The old injector ports will now be the map sensor line, boost line, and booster line. I will weld in a bung rail up above the plates pointing bacwards away from the head, so the fuel has to make a turn, for more atomization time. I have three different styles of these manifolds. One like you bought which is BRAND new, and another straight one that is different than this one.

"Need"? I don't need no stinkin' "Need"!

Like George Carlin said: "I wanna!"

I believe that is a sin. It's written someplace: "Though shalt not wanna!"

Seriously though, the thought came directly to the Hillborn having screw in EFI Bungs available for the conversion. Thought "oh, man..."

Plus having the injectors, barrel valve, and everything means I could theoretically take a step back in time up at ElMirage and run an old-school Methanol Powered car for some 'F' (fuel) records. There's enough pumps and other crap circulating out there from circle track guys it wouldn't be all that much to make a complete system and then just buy some pills to set mixture.

(And those guys at the 'other site' would chomp their teeth at the thought of me 'going backward in time' to run MFI!)

I think the head will go someplace useful sooner rather than later...