HybridZ

first nos pass, need new trans

IMO anyone using a manual trans and no scattershield with any type of modified engine is rolling the dice on not walking or being injured. It's a good idea and cheap insurance.

I believe this too.

BUT, I also believe its RPM that will make a flywheel come apart. With a 383, its probably not turning much passed 6,000.

It takes someone seeing a piece of flywheel cut through the floor then the dash and out the windshield, or seeing one embed in the concrete before they really want to invest in a blowproof.

Yeah, I saw what an exploding 283's flywheel did to the frame rails, headers, dash, pavement, etc. etc. in a nice 57 Chevy when I was in highschool.

Ever since, the few hundred bucks for a blowproof bellhousing seems really cheap.

If you put a Pro 5.0 shifter and a decently long (8 or 9") handle on it and use the Synchromesh, the Tremec 5spds shift decently. Make sure you align the input shaft with the crank center/bellhousing etc.

But with the kind of torque you are using, I'd be looking at the trans that dr_hunt is talking about. How many $2000+ "maybe this will hold" trannies are you going to go through before you buck up for what will work?

I just don't know if I can live without my overdrive. This car spends 95% of its life going back and forth to work. Most of that is 75 mph down the highway.

I may be nearing that crossroads of being content with the speed and call it a daily driver or keep wanting more (as I do) and make it a race car...which will hardly ever get to the track.

HICKL,

I'm really PO'ed to see your Gforce transmission took a dump on you while spraying it with only a 100 shot. I was going to go with the ASPEC gears which claim no HP rating but tested in a 3000lb car it held, what that means I don't know. I really need to find the write up.

Now you guys have got me thinking TKO 600 and more money. :(

I run a 175 to 275 shot n02, on a 362 sbc with 200cc darts, shift at 7200 rpms, with MT drag slicks and a bone stock T5. best run was 10.7 at 135 with a 1.6 60 foot.

I think something wasn't done right with your T5.

I do shift my trans on the slow side.

The only time I broke a T5 was my stupid fault when I sprayed N02 while in 5th gear. And it just broke 5th.

G-force built my tranny.

Yesterday I took it to a local T5 expert. Runs a mustang shop but builds these things all the time with G-Force parts. He thinks this was a fluke, maybe just a bad batch of material on my cluster gear. He feels, as we all seem to, that it should have held up to much more than I am throwing at it. His suggestion is to replace the bad gear and try it again.

Am running a stock open dif.