HybridZ

speed hut gauge face problem! help please!

shika805

hey guys, just got my gauge faces from Speed hut about a week ago and i am finally getting around to installing them... I'm running into a problem with the gauges for some reason?!?! two of the small gauge pods are not lighting?? it seems like the wire to the back of the gauge faces have a bad connection. It will flicker but not stay lit? I've taken the gauge pods out and have tried to reposition the faces to make the wire have less stress but it only seems to work for a short while then out again?

my dash is out and i am testing the gauges with a car battery. I made sure to handle the connections and wires with great care but still no luck?!?! I've read a previous install from auszcar and read the instructions carefully before installing? i still dont know what i am doing wrong. please can someone help me... about to call quits on this project.

get in touch with speedhut directly, talk it over with them.

Shouldnt cost you much at all to get them sent back, They can have a look and repair if necesarry.

If you have any of your purchasing documentation, includa a copy, they may do it under warranty for you.

Kinda in the same boat turns out. I finally got my "Y" adapter for the wiring harness, hooked it all up today and the clock will not light up. I'm going to send Speedhut an e-mail. They've been pretty good about CS so far...lets see what they say about this.

R/

D

^yeah i hear ya man... i think i know where mine got damage. When i received my item, they were in a large box, a larger box that the items should have been. The item were loosely moving around in the box. This could have damaged the item during delivery and transport?

I was a little shocked at the packaging myself. It came in a big box with "Fragile" (hmmm...must be Italian) stickers all over it. I open the box to find all the dials stuffed into a padded envelope with the flat wires pretty well crimped and slightly wrinkled (as if balled up and straightened back out again) on most of the dials.

Oddly enough even after all this, I'm thinking about just upgrading to Speedhut gauges. The stock gauges...well, for being almost 40, are at this point...entertaining. I mean the needles move and it looks the business, but I'm not so sure I'm getting good info.

I still have to think about it though...I mean it ain't like I'm going to the moon in the thing so "accurate enough" may save me about $600+.

that true... they're really "finiky" it would be nice to drop 600 on gauges, but 600 is kind of out of my budget for something like that right now... i still have a lot to finish on my car thats more important at this time... but those revolution gauges do look awesome!

If $600 seems a bit steep on gauges, price up the whole set from Autometer or some of the other companies.

It'll almost double the cost.

I was going to 'put up' with a non matching speedo and a couple of autometer gauges till i saw the speedhut stuff.

Now i have a reason to save up some money.

From what ive seen, the speedhut stuff is better quality than the autometer gear anyway.

Well, I got my answer from Speedhut.

I have to remove my clock (again), take it apart from the gauge housing (again), remove the hands (again), remove dial, pay for shipping, drop it in the mail, wait 2-3 weeks or longer to get it back, replace dial, replace hands (again), and finally reassemble the whole mess back behind the dash (again). All this to have a glowing clock dial that should have been 100% from the beginning.

Aside from the belly-aching above, I guess I'm more happy that Speedhut offers the dials in the first place, are willing to send USPS Pri Mail to an FPO/AP and are willing to stand behind their product as far as the warranty is concerned.

I still can't help being a little irritated...mostly due to the logistics. I just had another issue with a Jegs order they screwed up. They told me to keep the mistaken parts and that they'd send the correct ones out ASAP.

Just to keep things fair, the Jegs order was about the same value as I figure the clock dial would be for Speedhut...maybe less considering the dials are $100 retail for 5 gauges ($20/gauge and probably *far*, *far* less to produce).

this kind of irritates me too.... i've already seen a hand full of people purchase the speedhut gauge faces and no problem at all?? i just dont understand why we got shafted with faulty items. I wanted to get my dash in by last week, wont be able to put it in this week when i get it back because southern california is getting hammered with rain. Just sucks....

Shika,

Actually, I've seen a few examples like the problem I'm experiencing...one dial out.

The more I think about it, the more irriatted I get. When I first recevied the package it was missing the $.75 "Y" adapter. I had to wait a week to get it from them. If I could have sourced the correct connectors, I would have built one myself.

So I finally get the "Y" connector and *now* I find out the dial doesn't work. ANother 2 weeks or so down the drain trying to get my car put back together. I have a NOS glove box ready to go in, but I am *not* going to try and R&R that thing just to put the clock back in...so it has to wait.

Their inattention to detail on the original order and now a faulty dial will have cost me very close to 4-5 weeks in total time to get this stuff right...all for full retail.

My opinion? For this second boo-boo, they should have just sent another dial out. I mean, even with the warranty option they offered it's still a 50/50 proposition of either repairing or replacing the dial anyway, so what are they really out if they just sent me a new one?

I think I'll re-approach them...

R/

Dustin

More update. Yesterday evening I switched on my lights and my oil pressure gauge dial did not illuminate. I tapped the dash...nothing. I turned the brightness up to full bright and it flickered a time or two then stayed on. I was able to dim it and keep it illuminated.

This morning, as I was driving through a tunnel, I turned on my headlights (Japanese law), the same thing happened to the oil pressure gauge again. Did not light up, turned the brightness to full bright, a second or two of flickering then illumination.

I have to say that after the hassle of installing these, the screwed up first order, the broken clock dial and now the flaky oil pressure dial, I would *NOT* recommend these dials...YMMV. I hope their real gauges are of better quality.

Update to the update. Spoke to Speedhut and given my circumstances (being in Japan and this being my second issue with my kit), they are just going to send me a clock dial. Just to keep things fair, I'm going to send in my old one when I get the new one installed. The CS rep I spoke to said they really just want it back to see why it went bad for further QC.

After the 2 very positive CS experiences I had with Speedhut, I'd say that at least they stand behind their products and are willing to work with customers. I know that I feel much more confident about choosing their products in the future when it comes time to upgrade gauges.

Would I still recommend these dials? Not sure. I have a feeling that I might be running into some longevity problems, but for the time being they work (sorta).

R/

Dustin