HybridZ

1972 240 388cid small block

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very clean engine bay. I like your routing of the trans cooler lines through the frame rail.:2thumbs:

I might have to do that next time my engine is out.

I just found all the pictures from your project! Man! You got cool taste and great ideas! Like the car! Sorry just found the pics at little slow ha!

Lane

I just found all the pictures from your project! Man! You got cool taste and great ideas! Like the car! Sorry just found the pics at little slow ha!

Lane

Thanks for the kind words, and likewise on your car. :2thumbs:

I kind of wish I would have went with a louder color like your red. Guess I'll just have to build another Z. lol

Kevin,

You are a braver man than I!! These lil Zs put up a mean fight!! I wave the white flag for the next build. LOL

Lane:icon2:

No plans for another for a while, lol. This one was hard enough on the wallet.

I was looking at your engine pic. Is that a super victor intake? Curious if you managed to get that filter under the stock hood somehow. I ask because that's the intake I have and at the moment I'm using something akin to a riding lawnmower air filter on my carb for hood clearance reasons. I need to experiment with some dropbase filters and such. I know you're not using the JTR mounts like I am but thought I'd ask anyways. If I had to guess you probably have a cowl hood though.

Kev,

You are correct I have a cowl hood. I wanna say it's the 4 1/2'' from unlimited. I know..I know that is a little over kill but I am kind of partial to the drag car look. I have a 2'' Cowl that I took off of the car before I got the bright idea to dismantle it into a million pieces. If you or anyone is interested in it.

Lane

I've actually got the unlimited stock style fiberglass hood. I haven't been too happy about the fit and finish quality. I've actually been thinking about getting the stock hood painted and put it back on. How was the fit on the 2" cowl? Is it a pin on or does it bolt to the stock hinges?

I've been lookng at forward facing scoops but don't know that I want to deal with getting caught in the rain with it.

The 2'' has provisions to bolt to stock location. But the fit leaves a lot to be desired!!! I have (no exaggerations) 700 man hours on the underside of the new hood! The race version 4 1/2 didnt come with hinge provisions nor did it come finished on the underside when I purchased. I made both of these happen while also trial fitting a million times for screwed up body lines! In addition the structural rib for support underneath had to be notched at the Radiator support! Needless to say I wanted to put the choke hold on Unlimited!!!

I am curious as to what the quality of the hoods from the place that advertises at the top of these site are? If I ever want to make a change I would definitely look at some other options. I do love the final product I ended up with but it took $5oo.00 to purchase 700 hours to prep and $200.00 in supplies along the way. Here's the car before I took it apart in 2007

driveway_thumb.jpg

long, the car looks great. great workmanship. Where in Louisiana are you? I am in Gulfport, MS. I have been curious how much work it will take to go to a live axle rear. Right now i am just a zz4 crate and hughes 700r4. I have pics of my car on the site in the member's section i think.

The 2'' has provisions to bolt to stock location. But the fit leaves a lot to be desired!!! I have (no exaggerations) 700 man hours on the underside of the new hood! The race version 4 1/2 didnt come with hinge provisions nor did it come finished on the underside when I purchased. I made both of these happen while also trial fitting a million times for screwed up body lines! In addition the structural rib for support underneath had to be notched at the Radiator support! Needless to say I wanted to put the choke hold on Unlimited!!!

I am curious as to what the quality of the hoods from the place that advertises at the top of these site are? If I ever want to make a change I would definitely look at some other options. I do love the final product I ended up with but it took $5oo.00 to purchase 700 hours to prep and $200.00 in supplies along the way. Here's the car before I took it apart in 2007

700 HOURS:shock: I'd be surprised if I have that much time in all of my body work.

Wow. That's incredible, but believeable with the unlimited products hood lol.

As far as the advertiser's go I'm not sure. I do know that johnc on the board owns beta motorsports and sells fiberglass and carbon fiber hoods though. I haven't seen his products in person but from what I've seen in pics they are top notch, as well as any of his products.

That car has come a long way. Kudos to you sir. I can't wait to see pics of the whole car after final assembly. Hell you kicked my ass in terms of build time, I started mine in 2003 and didn't get it road worthy until late 2008

long, the car looks great. great workmanship. Where in Louisiana are you? I am in Gulfport, MS. I have been curious how much work it will take to go to a live axle rear. Right now i am just a zz4 crate and hughes 700r4. I have pics of my car on the site in the member's section i think.

roro...,

Thanks for your comments about the car! I am really happy I decided to register to this site! Everyone here really knows the pains one must go to to tackle this type of project. Not to mention we all appreciate how unique these little Z cars are! I searched for your car. I can't find it here? Please direct me as I am interested in seeing everyone's ideas come together thur their project.

I am from appro. 10 miles southeast of Baton Rouge, LA. I have raced at Gulfport dragway several times. In fact, my older brother has won the King of the Coast bracket race there a time or two. He was able to do so only because the (Dragster slayer Z was out of commision!) lol just kidding he is an exceptional racer!!

The work assiocated with changing the rear end to a straight axle would be so easy with todays parts availability!!! It would also be super inexpensive. If I were to snap some shots of how simple my set up is you'd freak out! This car has run low tens for 10 years! Its so deadly consistant people were out right offended that I was taking it apart to revamp its look! The car leaves super hard 1.35 60' times and carries the wheels very aggressively. It does all this without a single subframe connector or anything to tie the car in underneath. Thats right, the underside looks just like it came from Nissan other than the rear end being bolted to some existing brackets from the stock set up! Now, I do have the roll bar which is probably a big factor in its ridgidity. However I have never had any twisting problems with the body etc... the doors shut perfect. The set is very Drag Race geared and I have no knowledge of how it would work if you plan to road race in curves etc.. You could duplicate what I have for under 1500.00(brake rotor to brake rotor) ;)

Kevin,

After you mentioned the gentleman with the Carbon fiber hoods, I looked at the equivalent to my hood from him!! I got ripped!!! ahhhhhh Well if anyone is going with a big cowl hood buy the carbon fiber one!!! Don't be an impatient non-researching tool like me!!! Its so superior with just a pictures glance! Hope this saves someone in the future some heartache!!!

Sincerly,

Ripped off Unlimited products hood owner....

Ahh that other thread about engine location and distributor has got me worried about my darn hood now!!

are you talking about this thread?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=159154

That's for a ZX and with the jtr mounts. Your mounts put the distributor completely in front of the hood latch, so I don't see any issues.

Kevin,

whatcha think?? Reciprocating saw to the hood?? lol

haha I wouldn't dream of anything that drastic. ALthough if it was before the 700 hours it would probably be therapeutic.lol

I can't see anything in the pics that would interfere with closing the hood.

Long, here is the link to the thread. I have a few pics of the car in its various stages. I am trying to load the rest of the build pics so I can post them in the project section. I just finished hooking a NX kit with a 75 shot on her last thursday. Due to weather, I haven't been able to get her out to test n tune at the track.

I have made numerous trips to NPR in Gonzales to run my evo, and use their road course to help setup my evo for open track days around the region. Ya Gulfport Dragway, is in the process of resurfacing to the 1/8th mile. Hopefully, it will be good. The last few runs out their this winter, I would break loose just before the 1/8th mile. Car is not really that fast, it traps 112, 1.7's 60's and average low 12's on sumitomo street tires.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=158594

Long, here is the link to the thread. I have a few pics of the car in its various stages. I am trying to load the rest of the build pics so I can post them in the project section. I just finished hooking a NX kit with a 75 shot on her last thursday. Due to weather, I haven't been able to get her out to test n tune at the track.

I have made numerous trips to NPR in Gonzales to run my evo, and use their road course to help setup my evo for open track days around the region. Ya Gulfport Dragway, is in the process of resurfacing to the 1/8th mile. Hopefully, it will be good. The last few runs out their this winter, I would break loose just before the 1/8th mile. Car is not really that fast, it traps 112, 1.7's 60's and average low 12's on sumitomo street tires.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=158594

Roro,

Nice launch shot! Love it! The car has really undergone some serious changes! What type of crusin speed are you able to achieve with 700r? My absolute goal is to make it to Cruisin the Coast this year! We'll definitely have to get together when that rolls around. I should have the car back on Methanol for that occasion really freak some people out when they sniff that coming from my car! Have you managed to hook up with other Z owners in our region? I wanna Make some shows before I get to crazy getting my car dirty racing.

Lane

Lane,

Thanx for the compliments. The cruise speed is nice and dont regret going with the 700r4. I turn 3000 rpms at 80 with 26" tall tires. I believe the gearing is a .354 with a 77 r180 in the rear. I have a r200 with .390 gearing but as you can see the r180 is still holding together.

We definitely have to get together for cruising the coast. I have met several z owners here in the area, and I know a few in the Mobile area. I know some of the local owners head that way in March/April for an event in Mandeville? If they go this year, I will definitely try and attend.

Mark

Mark,

I was unaware that there was anything in Mandeville! Thats cool to know. That's a beautiful town so probably a cool event! Keep me posted on that!

Man I am so freaking ready for this job I am on to end! It's a catch 22. The longer I stay the more Z parts can be purchased with a clean concious! lol... but I am ready to install whats on the door step now! I made a rookie mistake with the brake upgrade by not buying the 15/16 master cylinder. Going from two pistons and two baby wheel cylinders to 16 pistons demands a lot more volume. I don't know what I was thinking!! I ordered a 15/16 bore base and my reservoirs are supposed to go on it. I'll be able to pass along exactly how much difference the two volumes make as soon I get home. Also the entire lot of things that go along with plumbing and wiring the car have arrived! It will rumble by mid March!!!

Lane

brakes1_thumb.jpg