HybridZ

1972 240 388cid small block

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headers are a set of Hooker Super Comps. Do a search or call around using part #21471HKR... there is a (-1) at the end of the part number which indicates it is the Ceramic coated version. To anyone interested in these Headers do your homework!! I saved literally $450.00 by shopping for these. Message me if you have any problems locating these it was a stressful step in the project!!!

Thanks Lane

P.S Almost forgot!!! WHO DAT??????????????????????????????????????

Edited by long240project
WHO DAT!!!!

long240project: I am interested in the Hooker Headers and your source for same! Are your cylinder heads straight or angle plug type? I have AFR-195 angle plug heads. Which engine mount kit did you use to mount the V8? Was it JTR conversion kit? That is what I have and am interested in your V8 installation. Do or did you have header interference with the Hooker Headers? Please advise and don't spare the words. Thanks.

long240project: I am interested in the Hooker Headers and your source for same! Are your cylinder heads straight or angle plug type? I have AFR-195 angle plug heads. Which engine mount kit did you use to mount the V8? Was it JTR conversion kit? That is what I have and am interested in your V8 installation. Do or did you have header interference with the Hooker Headers? Please advise and don't spare the words. Thanks.

Rsicard,

I wrote you a novel on the engine mounts that I created and the forum just erased it! It really let the wind out of my sail! lol But I found some old pics of them. I dont know what the JTR consist of but which ever you wanna use I have great news!!! I have my old Hookers! They are not lookers but they are Hookers :) I've been running this car for years with a small block chevy. You are welcome to use them to mock the engine up and also to see if the angle plugs will work with the Hooker Headers. I believe that they will work with the angle plugs. There is a lot of clearance under the primaries. Give me a jingle on here and I'll ship them to ya! They are just collecting dust on my end.

Lane

P.S thanks Slopoke I appreciate that

IMG_0226_thumb.JPG

IMG_0227_thumb.JPG

Long240project: Thanks very much for your reply. Your car looks great. Very very nice color. Please give me a brief description of your engine mounts. Did you make the mounts? The Jags That Run (JTR) engine mounts push the SBC V8 back near the engine compartment/passenger firewall. This makes the most amount of space available for block hugger headers and a small amount of space between the block huggers and the steering shaft. I read the instructions for the Hooker Super Comps and it says to remove the steering shaft, install the headers and reinstall the steering shaft. This almost sounds that the steering shaft threads it way through tubes of the Hooker Headers. Is this true? After some discussion between you and I, and the discussion brings out the appropriate details of the Hooker Header installation, then I would pay shipping both ways from your place to mine and the reverse if needed. If the Hookers fit my 240Z with JTR engine mounts HERE, I am willing to pay you for the headers. Talked to Hooker and they said the headers are not made anymore. Talked with Summit Racing and they do not have these headers any more. The other option for headers is to go with the JTR headers.

Long240project: In looking at the second photo you attached it looks as though you fabbed your own engine mounts. From the second photo there looks to be a small tube welded horizontally fore and aft welded above the original Datsun engine mount. This would place the V8 forward of where the JTR engine mounts position the V8. This puts the headers into a more interference situation with the steering shaft. This may verify my assumption that the steering shaft threads it way through the header tubes.

Are you going to use the Hooker Headers once your Datsun goes back together? If so I apologize for the wording to purchase same. Unless you know of a source that has these Hooker Headers, it appears that they are no longer available. Hope to hear from you soon.

Long240project: In looking at the second photo you attached it looks as though you fabbed your own engine mounts. From the second photo there looks to be a small tube welded horizontally fore and aft welded above the original Datsun engine mount. This would place the V8 forward of where the JTR engine mounts position the V8. This puts the headers into a more interference situation with the steering shaft. This may verify my assumption that the steering shaft threads it way through the header tubes.

Are you going to use the Hooker Headers once your Datsun goes back together? If so I apologize for the wording to purchase same. Unless you know of a source that has these Hooker Headers, it appears that they are no longer available. Hope to hear from you soon.

Rsicard,

It’s difficult to hammer out technical questions on here because one statement by the telling party made lead to multiple questions by the other party. I think I screwed the pooch so to speak on being clear. First off your suspicions about the steering shaft are exactly right. The header on the driver side is two piece. Meaning the front primary tube separates at the flange and reconnects in the header once it has looped around the steering shaft. This creates mega clearance room! I just can’t see you having problems with steering shaft clearance regardless of where the motor is located with these headers.

Second: Don’t be discouraged about the header availability. I wrote to everyone wanting to tell my experience because I went through the same deal and I thought damn… I missed them. They are in fact available. Again, I have had a V8 in my Z since 1998. This is my third set of these hooker headers. All of my previous sets where the painted ones because that was all that was available. I called Jegs and said “I want a pair of the Hooker Headers for a Datsun Z car with a small block Chevy except this time I would like them ceramic coated.†The guy was like those are discontinued!!!!!! What!!! I have had these for years I told him! I was bummed out!! I got right off and called Summit and I said do you still happen to have these headers….Part # @@@@@ he say they are going to be discontinued but I still have a pair and he puts me on hold. I was like I am buying these headers if he comes back and has them. Well he comes back and explains that he’d have to call Hooker on Monday!! I took the part number, threw it in a Google search and low and behold there they were directly from Hooker on an E bay sale. So take that part number in the previous post and Google it for starters. Also, I believe that Summit was alluding to the fact that they were not going to carry them but could still order them from Hooker. This may have taken a little longer but they are out there. Hooker is not going to toss out the design. The demand is not huge but people want them and it probably doesn’t cost $100.00 to produce a product that retails for 5-600.00 bucks

Third: The pictures of my car with the engine in are recent and that’s the new set!!! That’s what I did for Christmas Eve my man!!! Dropped the motor back in my car!! My girl was pissed! So That part of the car is done and the Headers I offered to send to you are my OLD ones. They are yours to keep my friend especially if you experience problems finding a nice coated set! If you get a coated set and you are not going to use them then I wouldn’t mind getting them back but definitely no hurry. Hope this helps. Also contact me at tlanecomeaux@hotmail.com for more convenience.

Lane