HybridZ

Body and Paint

Mike kZ

Mike, looks great! You must have spent a ton

of time getting the stripes taped off! and

painting it gloss black takes big balls

I have some flaws that showed up that I missed when i was doing the body work.

I may go back later and fix them but i plan

on cutting it and buffing out the clear coat before i decide what to do..

What brand and type of paint did you use?

I used single stage ppg duracryl and

2 coats, both wet sanded down with 1000 grit and now i am cutting the 1/2 gallon of clear coat that I put on it down with 1200 grit

and rubbing compund... It is getting very

slick, but no DEEP shine yet... I have some 3m high dollar stuff coming for the wax

I used PPG base coat/ clear coat 2 stage. The stipes where a killer getting them straight, and aligning them with the bumpers, spoilers, front valance, and tail light panels (not shown in pics).I must of taken 6 months of on and off again body work to get the body straight enough for black. The base coat went on real easy, but the clear was a bitch. I got major runs on the passenger door, which i tried to fix, but didn't turn out to good. So I will do the door over again.

[This message has been edited by Mike kZ (edited April 27, 2000).]

I hear you! Those runs sneak up on you. One pass and everthing looks great and then the

next time you come around there is a huge

run!. I had 3 of them, but they seemed very

easy to cut out. How long did you wait before trying to sand them out?

This was my first paint job, and I didn't know better, so i pulled a stupid and stopped clear coating after I saw that disaster. Waited a day, and started sanding the runs out, thinking I could just clear over it later. But I found out you can't do that, because the finish would be cloudy. You have to repaint base first then clear. So I did that but can still see some ripples from the runs. So... I will take down to primer that door and do it over again. I guess you learn from your mistakes!:o

I could write a book with all of the mistakes

that i have learned from! The way i see it

they just meake the next project that much better!..... I kept on clear coating (1/2 gallon worth) after i saw my runs. After

I finished the car and it was dry enough

to move outside I let it sit out in the sun and BAKE, 5 days worth of Texas sun is enough to bake anything. I then hit the runs with 1000 grit then 1500 grit and they were actualy very easy to get out. I have to do some finish work with the 1500 grit and then i have some 3m finishing compund and wax

to put the deep shine on it....

One thing i did a little different is I

used Dupli-Color truck bed coating on the bottom part of the car where the body line starts to curve under... That stuff is thick and very tough and it actually turned out really good. you cant even tell unless you areright up on it...

Guest Frank280z

Hey Mike. The car looks great. I have a similar hood to your design. But the scoop is a little wider. And my Z is black.Hopefully to be painted silver in the near future. I'll keep an eye on that clear when I shoot it.

Frank280z

Thanks Frank! Yea watch out for that clear coat! You'll be sraying along, and it's looking nice and shiny, and you think, wow this looks great. Then you come back to that spot and ruuuuunnsss everywhere frown.gif .So what I ended up doing is spray many light to medium coats.The only draw back is more orange peel, so you have to color sand more.

I second the motion on watching that clearcoat!!! I am still color sanding mine.

I put it on very thick though 1/2 gallon!

Some places were rougher than others so i

started with 1000 grit and then 1500 using a foam pad for backing. Then I used a very

fine 3m compound and then glazing compound.

THIS MAY SOUND STRANGE

when you go to paint your car go buy a steel

chain and lay it in a big hoop around the

car on the floor... I have heard that when you do this the chain some how will

draw the dust and particles away from the car

and keeping you paint job debris free..

Myron,never heard of putting the chain around the car, but I have heard that you can ground the car, either with chain or those ground straps, from the frame or body to the ground. I think this version is supposed to make the paint flow better.

[This message has been edited by Mike kZ (edited May 02, 2000).]

Guest Frank280z

Yeah. I was told that grounding out the car helps. And wetting the floor down(with water) biggrin.gif also cuts on the dust. I guess it all depends on where you spray it.

Frank280z

I was told the chain had something to do

with static electricity. To prep my garage first used the weed blower to blow all the dust out and then i wetted everthing down with the hose. I found a place that will

professionaly "cut and buff" the car for

100.00 here in Houston, sounds cheap to me,

my arm is getting REAL tired!

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Just curious, what type of spray guns are you all using? Is anyone using the HVLP units, and if so does this really cut down on the overspray? Reason I ask is I have a smaller project in mind than a whole car (Harley tanks and fender) and was wondering if anyone has used the HVLP guns as I'll need all the help I can get with overspray in my small shop.

biggrin.gif

Lone