HybridZ

Whale tail vs. Bre Spoiler

Drax240z

Well the title presents my dilemma rather well. The car currently has a whale tail on it. I like what the tail does at speed, but I also really like the idea of a bit of a sleeper. I have a BRE style rear spoiler, but I really don't think it does much over 75mph, certainly not like the whale tail.

I shouldn't be driving faster than that, but I do sometimes. :P Any thoughts or comments about the aerodynamic differences, specifically from those of you running whales tails?

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

My particular unit supposedly generates 1000# of downforce at 120mph... That was what sold me on it, but I couldn't tell you if it does... I have had the car to around 140mph several times and the seem that rests against the hatch cracked paint due to the downforce on the 1st high speed run.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I noticed with mine that I had a bit of a squeak/rattle coming out of the hatch. (from it bouncing up and down) At anywhere over the 80mph mark it totally stopped as I assume the hatch had enough downforce on it to keep it down... Tough decision, but I'll probably go with the BRE style just because I think it looks better. Or better yet, maybe I'll try comparing the 2 on the same car before I paint.

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

As a side effect, have either of you guys noticed a decrease in the amount of exhaust fumes pulled back in through the hatch? I'm having a lot of problems with exhaust gases seeping back into the cabin. Most of it is due to worn out weather stripping, but I wondering if a small spoiler would help the aerodynamic flow over the hatch any.

-Andy