HybridZ

P79 for turbo exhaust manifold

JessZ

Thanks. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea for my L28et. "E88 head off a 72' built with big valves, brass guides, cammed, and slightly ported." I'm exploring some options and am not sure a cammed head for the turbo is a good idea. I'd love the sound of some lope. Any thoughts here. Thanks again. By the way my motor is stock from ecu to t3

I believe the exhaust liners do not withstand the increased exhaust temps. One bit of liner comes off of and the turbine would most likely take damage.

I would say go for it on any non-linered head, which excludes the P79 and N47 heads.

I am not certain at what threshold this could be a problem, so perhaps someone with some more experience on turbo installs on P79's will chime in.

secondly "cammed" usually means lots of overlap, Overlap does not work well with Turbocharged engines.

I don't think it's the right head for what you want to do, I would pass on it myself.

I believe the exhaust liners do not withstand the increased exhaust temps. One bit of liner comes off of and the turbine would most likely take damage.

Nissan built an L20A ET engine in Japan that ran a round port exhaust with liner cylinder head. Sure, it's a 2.0 litre engine but I think the P79 will work fine on your L28.

I'm going to try to locate another P90. I spent a couple hours searching about cammed L28et's last night and it's not task I'm ready to take on. The stock P90 is capable of much more than I'm shooting for. I was just wanting the "rump, rump, rump" sound from my motor--not worth it. Build an N/A if I want that, right.

Thanks Pyro.

How long did you run it, and did you do any road or track racing with it?

Here is a very good thread on the matter, and was the source of my previous post:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132598&highlight=turbo+liner

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127846

On the P79's that I have seen, it appears that the liner is looking like the ceramic (or whatever it is) coating is coming off. This is on junkyard heads that were in N/A service. I v'e found the same to be true on my MN47 head.

Will it work? Yes. How long? I suspect it depends on the application and the use of the right foot.

beat the crap out of it for years.

A friend of mine is also using a P79 with his turbo. drag races it.

the liners are metal. sometimes a whitish film build up on the liners. most likely burnt oil (like the white build up on spark plugs). I don't think it will hurt anything.

The head comes off tomorrow, then it's down to the machine shop to check it for cracks. I'll keep ya'll filled in if you want? I'm hoping it's just a shave and a head gasket. I'm going to AutoZone and as you probably know they sell Felpro. I think this will raise compression a bit, but I don't know for sure. I know I can use a calculator for this, anyway it's probably going to be fine unless someone thinks these gaskets are for the birds. Should I replace the head bolts? APR perhaps? Old ones just fine?

I use felpros head gaskets. no problem. however, I recommend you use the nissan intake/exhaust gasket (go to your local dealer). felpro's have problems with the intake/exhaust gasket (cheap paper gasket).

I use old head bolts all the time. just make sure to clean the threads very well. To clean the threads, I run a tap down the block threads and blow them out and run a die down the head bolt threads.

make sure to wedge the timing chain before pulling off the head. Plus mark the timing chain location to the cam sprocket.

I've been reading up on head gasket posts and came up with a question. I learned that water entering my block could be the result of timing cover corrosion, and i am guilty of running my car for quite some time without coolant. My question is this, if it is the timing cover being corroded could this also be the cause of white smoke out the tailpipe? I will pop the timing cover off tomorrow to check, but I was just thinking how much easier this fix would be than a HG job.