HybridZ

Body work in progress - Shaving rear, need front end parts ideas

Hugh

After 5 years of rolling around with this huge dent in the back, I finally brought it in for some body work.

hughZback1.jpg

hughZback2.jpg

hughZback3.jpg

I had the shop build a custom roll pan for it, shaving everything off the lower rear. They filled the side bumper mounts with sheet metal, as well. I will have 'after' pics of it later today (no cable here for my camera)

It's going to yellow epoxy primer right now, just to get things started. I will put the whole body together before painting the car. This is a budget build and I need the car to drive - so no time for ground up rotisserie and all that. I'm just going to make it presentable so I can drive a decent car around again.

Up next, I think I will replace the driver side rocker panel and dog leg. The dog leg on the passenger side has to go, too. I know there's a few sources for these, but a link would be appreciated if someone can recommend a particular company.

Following that, I need to replace my front end. My headlight buckets, fenders, hood, and grill were all backed into several times in 2005-2006. SUV's would back over it parallel parking, etc.. I never parallel park it anymore. I garage it every night.

So I want to do a somewhat traditional Z nose on it, but I don't want the 240z turn signals out front. I would rather go to something like the 280z turn signals. I can't seem to find a spoiler that covers those up without looking like I'm trying to modernize the car too much. I don't want "bumper detail" like some MSA kits. I have scoured the internet and just can't seem to find anything that wasn't custom made.

Should I just get a more common air dam and have the turn signal and bumper mount areas filled in?

Also not sure if I should go with fiberglass fenders and headlight buckets, or just repair the stock ones. (or get steel reproductions)

I want to eliminate as much weight as possible, and have a nice sharp appearance with good looking front air dam.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not buy a airdam that is made for 280z's eliminating the lower 240 turn signals and mounting some aftermarket lights behind the grill. I bought some fog lights for my Z and put them in the bottom of the air dam where the air ducts are. They aren't going to be used for turn signals and they are to low in my opinion but if you did the same thing but mounted them higher it would work.

Edit: picture for reference.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/nathankotewa/downsize3.jpg

Yeah, you've got the right idea.

I can do a completely custom grill, I suppose. I may just do the chicken wire style or something along those lines... unless I get help making something cool.

I could just plant the turn signals in the 280z location imbedded or right behind the grill (so long as they can be seen when on, I don't care)

I won't be using a front bumper, either. (sorry, I forgot to mention that) So I would want to eliminate that gap under the lights.

This is what I have right now (but even a little more beat up since this pic)

hughSR2403.JPG

I'd like to hide the bottom of the radiator, shave the turn signals, and fill the gaps... just one piece of fiberglass or urethane that wraps around the bottom and comes up just under the lights would be ideal.

I'd like to hide the bottom of the radiator, shave the turn signals, and fill the gaps... just one piece of fiberglass or urethane that wraps around the bottom and comes up just under the lights would be ideal.

Sort of like this? the guy is a member here his username is aziza z. I think its custom built off a MSA air dam. You could pm him for details.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/bemmerguy714/IMG_1668.jpg

The best custom grill I've seen was done by member HLS30-08077. You can see some pics of it here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2635267

I can't find a writeup of how he made it though.

That is sweet! Doesn't look overly complicated - just time consuming. Not sure what he used for spacer blocks, but the main pieces look like your typical L-shaped aluminum pieces you can buy at Home Depot.

Sort of like this? the guy is a member here his username is aziza z. I think its custom built off a MSA air dam. You could pm him for details.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/bemmerguy714/IMG_1668.jpg

Sort of... but I would want it to curve backward under the lights toward the wheels. This one looks too modern for my taste, but you got the right idea.

Maybe I can photoshop something.

After looking at more pics of these, I'm almost thinking I have to keep the turn signals in place to break up that huge space. Otherwise it looks like a flat wall.

scan0013.jpg

(lifted from other thread for example)

If that space were filled in... I don't know.

Prices were higher than on the website, but not too much more. The pieces seemed to fit pretty well based on my amateur experience.

Here is a picture of what I started with.

IMG_2076.jpg

Here is the only photo I currently have showing the repaired quarter panel and wheel well. You can also see where we welded in a panel to fill in the indent from the bumper. We still need to finish the body work.

IMG_2160.jpg

Well that looks good to me. I'm having a pro do the work, so I'm sure he can clean it up and make it look like nothing ever happened.

I had to cut out my wheel wells to fit the 245 50/15's that I had out back. Now I can't even find tires that size so I'm running Yokohama ES100's that are 225 50/15. I wonder if these would clear the stock wheel wells or not... maybe I can get someone to try them out on a stock body Z and see if they rub?

If they don't rub, then I will do that whole piece like you did. If they do.. then I'll have to have them chop them out or roll them

That looks great. I was thinking the same thing - buying some aftermarket truck grill and cutting it up to fit. Didn't even consider a stock one, though. Must be cheaper.

I don't have the patience to build my own from scratch, I don't think. If I was going to, I might go with vertical slats to be weird. I've seen one or two on Z's that looked great.

Now the more pics I look at, the more I'm reconsidering my idea for the front. Without the bumper in place, nothing breaks up the lines on the front end. It loses a bit of the grunt that makes the Z look so tough, in my opinion.

I just realized I know Aziza Z, and I've seen that car. We live close. I bought some parts off of him a while back. Maybe I'll give him a call and see what he says.

Here's the pics from this morning. The beat up taillights really stand out, now. The set they're putting on look almost mint. We decided to paint the trim pieces black in the center of the lights, as well. I'm ready to order a replica plate now, but they don't ship to california.

Before:

post-2-1264603092.jpg

After:

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

back3.jpg

I asked them just to smooth out the cutout around my muffler so it looks professional. They were figuring don't do any paint prep just yet... but it could be months and months before it gets painted. (depends on how well the money flows this year)