HybridZ

V8 Motorplate questions

turborust

I was looking at doing this on my L33 (5.3L truck motor) but it seems like there are some hassles that come along with it, especially on the LSx motors. A little bit of looking has me convinced that I'm going to use the regular mounting points and just make solid mounts that attach there.

I use a front plate and mid-plate to mount the engine in my car.

BCC1.jpg

It works great, frees up a ton of room under the engine, and makes the engine a structural part of the car.

The set-up does transmit some mechanical noise, but it is not a bad as I would have thought.

JMortensen, what issues do you see, as I'm looking at putting in a LSx. I think I will end up using a front motorplate as that would give me more header options. Which is one of my reasons going this route, beside that stiffening up the chassis / drivetrain.

74_5.0_Z, your setup looks fantastic. How is your midplate mounted? Thanks for the pic.

Chaparral2f, would you post up some pic of your motor and mount points for the plates when you get a chance?

I didn't get too far into it before I was fairly well convinced not to do it, but I think there is an issue with the oil pump which drives off the front of the crank. You have to shim it forward, and shim the pickup to match. I gather this is stuff you also have to do if you run a dual row timing chain, which I also intend to do, so then it's shimmed way the hell out there and I was anticipating running into issues with the pulleys and balancer, etc.

Look on ls1tech.com and you'll find just a few threads on motor plates, mostly with people saying "why?" I think if you use solid motor mounts the engine block still acts as a chassis stiffener, although it probably isn't as efficient as it would be with a plate in front and back.

Here is an older picture (old engine and no paint) of the car in which you can just see the mid-plate:

PICT0025.JPG

The mid-plate sandwiches between the block and bellhousing. The mid-plate is 0.090" steel and mounts to two brackets welded to the frame ~1" forward of the firewall.

JMortensen, thanks for you input. I looked over some of the threads at ls1tech, and it has given me a few things to think about.

74_5.0_Z, again I have to say I your car is awesome and thanks for the pics.

Chaparral2f, that is one heck of a build up you are doing. I look forward to seeing more of it.