HybridZ

Some body questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Vic. Brit. has a weatherstripping kit for both doors, window, rear window, and hatch for $200 and change..... presumably it's not nissan weatherstripping at that price right? Is it any good or should I get the expensive nissan stuff?

The leaded seam above the 1/4 windows.... the seam on my passenger side is slightly warped - the paint on it is cracked and the edge of the hatch opening is bent a hair, at the seam it is 2-3 mm farther from the hatch than it is at the top and bottom edges of the hatch. Can any competent body shop or 'rod shop' lead seams? I was told it's hard to find places that still are both willing to lead bodies and can do it competently.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

That weather strip kit is the same one that Arizona Z car sells, along with Ztherapy. It's from Precision products. The door seals don't fit as well as the Nissan products, but supposedly the latest design of that kit is better. I'd go to Ztherapy.com and get them, as Scott Bruning is sensitive to this issue and is sourcing new kits.

Leaded joint. The rod shop guys tend to want to melt the solder out and Mig weld the area up, then grind, and a TINY bit of filler to make it smooth. This is the way to go, as this will make the joint stronger and stiffer. Any decent body shop can do this.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

Morgan,

I understand one may order the weatherstrip kits directly from Precision Products for a significant savings.

Their address is http://www.prp.com/

I just tried to see the cost for a complete kit for a 280 and it says to "call for details".

Let us know how you like their kits...I have heard the same thing as Pete regarding the door weatherstrip.

Chris

I've got one of their kits - except I was stupid and didn't order direct. Yes, the price difference was "significant" dammit.

As for fit... Doors actually fit fine on my car. Rear hatch on the other hand is another story. I had to section it in two places as the corners weren't "right". when they replaced the glass in my front widnshield and the seal in the back they had a hell of a time getting the chrome in, it looks a little funky. I also foound out the hard way that these seals weren't as wide as stock and ended up with a strip of original paint showing under each of them. Seems the original owner didn't have the glass pulled for his paint job (sigh).

Overall, the kit worked. However if you're really picky you might not like it. I'm not sure the rear hatch is sealing right either - I smelled some exhaust and I think the weatherstrip was rolling over when I closed th ehatch tight. Need to crawl in there and look before it sees much road duty down the line...

Straighten it out? I guess they might have to pull it or move it some how. If I were to try it, I'd probably tack weld a lug to the jamb of the hatch where it's come apart and applied forces/impact to the lug.

In the mean time, I'd not paint the streets with your back tires (like you did last week wink.gif ), until you get that taken care of biggrin.gif. This is a know weak point in the Z shell, all the more reason to be careful driving and have the area welded.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited December 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited December 27, 2000).]

Well I have also used their weather stripping kits in the past and they suck. Unless they have changed the design and added the metal retainer in the fabric that contacts the doorjamb channel, don't waist your time. The glue-in replacements that are out there just aren't worth the time. They don't stay in place and they really aren't as durable. Save your money... My last set lasted 3months before becoming tired...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

I CONTACTED PRECISION AND THEY GAVE ME A QUOTE OF 408.00 FOR THE COMPLETE WS KIT. PRT# CWK 243. IF YOU ARE A IZCC MEMBER THEN THE PRICE IS 306.00. I'M NOT SURE BUT I BELIEVE THE PRICE IN THE VIC MAGAZINE WAS 299.00.

Guest Anonymous

I CONTACTED PRECISION AND THEY GAVE ME A QUOTE OF 408.00 FOR THE COMPLETE WS KIT. PRT# CWK 243. IF YOU ARE A IZCC MEMBER THEN THE PRICE IS 306.00. I'M NOT SURE BUT I BELIEVE THE PRICE IN THE VIC MAGAZINE WAS 299.00. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SAVINGS FOR ORDEERING STRAIGHT FROM THEM?

Guest Anonymous

I just got item # CWK 241 Complete window seal kit from Precision Products for my 240 for christmas. Price was $211.50.

Haven't had time to install yet, so don't have any pros or cons as to fit and function.

Jeff

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit

Guest Anonymous

I put their kit on my 77 a few years ago and still kick myself every once in a while. If it is too good to be true it probably is. Spend your $200 on Nissan rubber and then spend some more.

Maybe the new kits are better but I don't want to be the guinea pig. My kit was so bad that I would have to SEE and fit a kit, free of charge, myself to even consider using one again smile.gif

Craig