HybridZ

Extremely accurate scale model l28ett design

Jesse OBrien

I spent months and months perfecting these designs (sarcasm) and plan to sell them for 6 bajillion dollars (sarcasm smeared all over) so please don't rip them off of me. If you're interested, check out the l28ett manifold designs. (not sarcastic, you really should check it out. It's amusing and I haven't seen anyone do it yet... I'll even include a picture so you aren't misled as far as the quality of the design.)

l28ett_header.png&w=630&h=300&zc=1

Edited by drummingpariah
picture = link

Is it actually true that 2 turbos, everything else (including efficiency) being equal, would dump more heat than a single? So far as I understand it, the heat is coming from 2 sources: exhaust gasses, and pressure change. Exhaust gasses contribute "X" amount of heat either way, assuming the same amount of work being done, so it doesn't matter if you push it into one, two, or ten turbos. And the delta-T from compression would also be the same either way, assuming the same amount of air was being compressed the same delta-P. I'm not a "turbo guy", so I don't really get the subtleties.

Also, if I had half the skill you have with both artwork (and your drawing are really quite artful), and in 'splainin' things, I'd be dangerous. Totally excellent page.

Hmmmmmm..... Intercooler?

You could always do water-cooled throttle bodies. Lots of motorcycles have them if you go the ITB route, and the 240sx has a 60mm water-cooled throttle body if you just use the two bottom-mounted throttle bodies.

Could you do something like the LD28 intake with a water/air intercooler as part of that and would the cross member stop you using a centrally located dump pipe?

I don't think the crossmember would be in the way, but the fender would be. My original plan was to have the screamer/dump pipe exit on the driver's fender, like Myron's exhaust does.

Is it actually true that 2 turbos, everything else (including efficiency) being equal, would dump more heat than a single? So far as I understand it, the heat is coming from 2 sources: exhaust gasses, and pressure change. Exhaust gasses contribute "X" amount of heat either way, assuming the same amount of work being done, so it doesn't matter if you push it into one, two, or ten turbos. And the delta-T from compression would also be the same either way, assuming the same amount of air was being compressed the same delta-P. I'm not a "turbo guy", so I don't really get the subtleties.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I assume the friction of the turbos spinning at [insert accurate number with many digits here]rpm alone generates heat. Maybe it wouldn't actually be any worse, but I'm guessing it'd be hotter with two than one.

Also, if I had half the skill you have with both artwork (and your drawing are really quite artful), and in 'splainin' things, I'd be dangerous. Totally excellent page.

Well, I get carried away with figuring things out. Most of the time, I do this stuff to explain stuff to myself, then just end up posting it to see if anyone can improve on it. I like my stuff to be good more than I like it being exclusively mine. I'm just an open-source kind of guy at heart.

I can't even imagine how hard it would be to put the downpipe(s) on, very good art though!

Actually, I'd just put the downpipe on before mounting the turbos. Kind of like the order I drew it in, assemble the turbos on each other with the downpipe already attached, and bolt them onto the exhaust manifold...

If anything, I'd imagine the charge pipes (and air/water intercooler, since that's the only place it'd fit) would be the most difficult part of all of this.

Right now, I'm just getting ready to order some mandrel bends to make a traditional externally wastegated manifold, and I'll just bolt one of my t3/t04e's onto that and sell the other (already sold it, actually). Can anyone recommend a good fmic with single-sided inlet and outlet at a good price?

Yeah... now that you point it out, that's an interesting design approach. I had started with them in the oil pan, but realized I had made the block about 6" too short, so I extended the block down. I had the turbos layer (which includes the oil lines) turned off, and never double-checked them, so ... yeah, there you have it. Getting ready to order my megsaquirt2v3 kit today, yay!