HybridZ

shaving the body

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Umm, can't recall hearing of shaving the body, but would assume it would be basically cleaning up any bulges or protrusions that break up the visual lines of the car. As far as shaving door handles off, you can use a remote just like/in conjunction with your alarm to open the doors. They use a small solenoid to actuate the door latches. They also use a spring loaded plunger to push the door open enough for you to grab it and get in. Anybody have the lowdown on body shaving?

Lone

Yea, we shaved the side marker lights on mine (See featured rides ) and it was a nice touch... second car I have done like that and it is now becoming very common to do. I did the first car back in 1992... Lone's comment about the remote keyless entry is exactly how they do it for cars with shaved handles... cool trick would be to fill in the gas cap lid as well and re-route the tank filler to another less consopicuos area like the license plate frame at the rear!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

That would look excellent. I saw a unique gas filler not to long ago. A guy had a beautiful 240 and came to a few local Z club meetings. He had replaced the filler door and spout with a nice aircraft-type (for lack of a better term) filler that was slightly raised above the surface of the rear quarter. It really did look nice and didn't look out of place since his car was heavily modified.

Wish I had some pics. He has since blown the motor and sold the car. Shame.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

i have "shaved" removed the door locks from my car..they are now power off the alarm- the only concern i have with shaving the door handles is access if the battery goes dead. on trucks that do this they will sometimes add a manual release under thru the rocker in case the electronic solenoid fails to release. my car wouldnt have this problem as it has no roof.. but i like the look of the door handles more than the lack of them. i had one car without the side markers but decided to keep them on the convt.

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Guest Anonymous

I guess you could always have a additional hood release cable hidden somewhere, so you could at least jump the battery to open the doors. That was always a concern of mine as well with no outside handles. Good tip on the marker lights Mikelly. I always thought the early Z markers looked so added on. Would love to flush them up with LED's some time. Oh well, other more important things to put money into the car first.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

That would be Walker Morgan's car. JT bought it with the roasted engine and promptly replaced it. He blew up the transmission last week though. DOH! Craig, you should hop down to birmingham one of these friday nights when JT and I meet up there.

Looks like a motorcycle gas cap to me: http://www.angelfire.com/hi4/turbotaylor/280z.html

quote:

Originally posted by idealz:

That would look excellent. I saw a unique gas filler not to long ago. A guy had a beautiful 240 and came to a few local Z club meetings. He had replaced the filler door and spout with a nice aircraft-type (for lack of a better term) filler that was slightly raised above the surface of the rear quarter. It really did look nice and didn't look out of place since his car was heavily modified.

Wish I had some pics. He has since blown the motor and sold the car. Shame.

Craig

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Yep, Morgan, that is it! I knew his name was Walker but didn't know the last name. I can't believe he sold it. Beautiful car. I think he said something about having Conquest brakes and hubs? Heck, I live in Bham but the weekends are very tied up these days with kiddies and other stuff.

Let me know when you come down this way. We have Z club meetings on Oxmoor Road the second Thursday of every month.

Craig

Guest Anonymous

Alrighty, my first real contribution to the list! Ok you guys asked how if you shaved the hadles off the car, and your power went out, how do you open the door?

Well my solution to the problem was simple;

re-route the inside door lock to the door latch mechanism.

When the power is out all you have to do is pop the hatch and reach through, pull the door lock (door latch) Whalla your door poppers open it and your in!

Thats how I get into my car, I don't have electric sylinoids.