HybridZ

Wiper electronics bag

After finding lots of water on the driver's side carpet in the recent rains, I embarked on trying to figure out what was going on. I took off the grill panel just in front of the windshield because I could see some sheet metal in there with a strange-looking rupture.

Once I got the panel off, I determined that the 'sheet metal' was actually a plastic bag. The metallic appearance was due to overspray from the PO's crummy paint job. Through the hole I could see some frayed and cut wires. I stopped there and went and looked at the FSM. Apparently this is part of the wiper system, but no bag was shown in the manual. Also not listed in the MSA or Black Dragon catalogs.

I'm reluctant to mess with it too much at the moment, since it has been raining a lot and the wipers are currently okay. That said, clearly something needs to be done.

1) Is the bag OEM?

2) Does it need to be there?

3) Well, it's broken, so what should I replace it with? Something that can be taken apart in a few months so that I can get back in there in the dry season and fix the wires, preferably. Maybe a little plastic box of some kind?

Thanks for any advice!

Chris O

Oakland, CA

It's hard to say if yours is oem. Yes, I think it's a good idea to have it there. It doesn't completely seal up the wiper motor, just kinda protects it.

Yours, if orig. is most likely in just as good a shape as the rest of ours. They are a heavy plastic/rubber design, so its most likely fine as is. I have never seen them new anywhere.

What I'm worried about is that it's *not* in good condition, actually. It has a big hole on top, and I can't imagine fresh rainwater is doing the visibly frayed wires any good. I have a selection of small plastic boxes through work. Maybe I will see if those will fit.

Also that cowel area wher eyou're looking is the right spot to find your leak. Seal the seams in there w/ good RTV sealant. and make sure the draintubes are cleaned out and flow okay. That should stop your water leakage. Aside from that the only think left would be the windshield seal.. You might get some screen material and put in in under those vents just to keep the crud from coming back. and don't forget to treat any rust you may find.

Phar

While you are diggin around in there you might find that the rubber tube that channels the water flow from the cowl area out through the fender well is cracked or rotten. Since it passes through the passenger compartment (thanks for that engineering brilliance datsun) if it it broken it leaks inside. It is a bit of a PITA to remove: access to it is tight, but worth it. If this is the case, repair it of course, but some folks (myself included) have taken steps to ensure it drains ELSEWHERE than inside the 1/4 panel, where it likes to deposit debris and encourage rot. Also, there is a metal box (at least on my 74 260) that is part of the heating cooling system that opens up to the cowl area. sometimes the seal between the box and the cowl area rots, or it rusts and water leaks in. Protecting the wiper motor with a bag or plastic box is simple enough: it is barely visible and so it doesn't need to be precise and original. but i suspect that this is not the source of any leaks. I would look at the areas i have suggested.

BTW I have not seen replacements for this rubber tube, but a little work and some parts sourcing will identify a replacement. I ended using heater hose: it was a bit of a chore to get it to fit through the opening at one end and on the drainage tube at the other, but it is much thicker than the original, and so will not rot for some time, and since it is not under pressure a good friction fit is all that is required. Making it drain water and dead leaves and debris outside of the fender well is more work but worth it to remedy a design flaw in our old cars. I mean, what were they thinking? no wonder the lower part of the 1/4 panels are rotten in most old zeds.....

good luck: there is nothing worse than a leaky cabin.