HybridZ

Ferrari 250 GTO Kits

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Awesome site!!

I am planning the construction of a Z based Ferrari 250 GTO replica with V8 power. I am interested in any experiences you have had with the various kits available. Specifically, how is the panel fit, fiberglass quality, customer service of the company, any rattles/noise at speed, how is the attention to detail, etc.... Basically, I am looking to replicate the 250 GTO as closely as possible and yet retain some driveability and am looking for body recomendations. Additionally, I will be converting to a 350+ hp SBC and need to know of any engine bay clearance problems brought on by the kit installation.

Thanks for the intel.

Brian

------------------

Fast cars---the original drug.

Sorry guys (and Gals) I've been off line for a bit due to my Abit SE6 motherboard cooking my PIII 700E and then the replacement 933EB!!!! So now I have an ASUS CUSL2 MB and another new CPU. Whew, what an expensive problem.

Anyway, welcome Brian and thanks for the kind words Rick. Besides the info on this site in "Featured Cars" you can get some additional pics and info here http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294856715

Other than dealing with the air cleaner the V8 does not cause any problems with the kit.

The biggest problem I had with the kit was the nose fit. Tom McBurnie did a pretty good job of fixing it so the later kits from Stable Autoworks and Thunder Ranch are much better. The car is super solid with no squeeks or rattles.

Of course there is a Z under it all so it turns out to be a great riding and handling car. With the kit it draws a huge amount of attention and is a blast to drive.

You can contact Jeff Krekeler at Stable Auroworks http://www.zcarkits.com/ or Tom McBurnie at Thunder Ranch http://www.thunderranch.com

Please email me if you need more information. I'd be glad to help!

Good luck with your project.

• 2 months later...
Guest Daddyrick

Viper,I got my kit from Stable Autoworks in January. Very impressed with the quality. Jeff Krekeler is a very nice guy and will keep you informed about items to make your kit look more authentic. Since I am doing a complete redo of the donor car, it will be some time before I install the kit. Be sure to follow ALL the suggestions in the manual. As I work on the chassis I can see why these messages are important. Good luck.

Guest JAMIE T

I also am planning a 250 GTO replica and was wondering what made you go with the Stable kit. If there is anyone who knows of any quality differences in the kits available, I would like to here all sides of the field. I have seen on older posts by Speedracer that McBurnie had a lot to do with the fit improvements on the Zcar. The ThunderRanch kit is also cheaper and comes with the dash and many other necessary parts that are extra on the other makers kits. I think the ThunderRanch kit is $3195 and Stables kit is $3900

Guest Daddyrick

Jamie

The price for the McBurnie kit is cheaper, but the only way to give a fair comparison between the two kits is to have them side-by-side. I wanted a quality kit and the Stable Autoworks kit is that. My son and I are experienced with fiberglass so we were not concerned about minor problems. The dash was free with our kit and although I thought originally that it did not look authentic, I found that it was the most accurate that I have seen. Jeff Krekeler of Stable Autoworks has been a please to deal with and his father-in-law delivered the kit so I did not have to pay for crating charges and freight. The front cap requires the most work for a proper fit and a test fit of our kit revealed that fit and finish are very good. It will be a while before install the kit, but I am happy with what I have seen so far, and working with Jeff has been great.

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks DaddyRick, thats the kind of information I was hoping to here! I have seen a 250 GTo replica locally and have been trying to catch the guy at home to pick his brain about it. Although, its been a few years since I have seen it.

Guest Anonymous

I used the Blue Ray GT kit for my GTO, which is an earlier version of what became the Stable kit. The only problem I had with the kit was the mounting of the hood hinges on the front end-I wasn't happy with the way things came together at the front of the hood and radiator shell area on the Z. I ended up glassing the hood into the front shell to make a one piece tilt front end like the Vella Rossa kit- This makes engine access easier too.

John Washington makes a really nice kit in the Vella Rossa-if I was going to do it again I would use his front end and the Stable rear end to get the best of both worlds in a closed car that looks close to the original.

I recently got my car on a web page-check it out at http://www.geocities.com/tmaxson1

(Tony, I editted the post to fix the URL and make it a link. Pete)

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited February 15, 2001).]

Guest Daddyrick

The hood assembly has been redone on the Stable kit. It is much improved and uses modified Corvette hinges now. Apparently this was an issue with the earlier kits.