HybridZ

S30 unibody made of composites...

Leon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like it would be better without any steel necessary (defeats the purpose imo) except for maybe subframe which is hard to get away from.

I was dreaming of this for a long time, thinking of making sandwich doors for kicks as a start. Wouldn't wanna market those myself though (liability)

What throws me is the bit about them being so customizable, how is that? Seems like the most expensive part is the tooling, if they make it to your spec for that price, then an off the shelf version would be pennies on the dollar by the time they made ten or so.

Definitely see the point about the bolt ons, using steel doors etc would also defeat the purpose imo, the real weight savings comes when you go all out, the tub wouldn't be that much lighter (at least not enough to be worth it) alone, even if it was made of cf. They probably are fairly legit though if they have that much experience.

I would go with nomex over foam any day though, it's a fraction of the weight. cf over foam wouldn't be ideal imo, it would probably weigh significantly less with even fg over hex. If you really want to save weight, the core is the first thing you upgrade (could even experiment with thicker core and less backing). With an entire body of cf and nomex you could probably just brake with the soles of your shoes :P Kevlar isn't really lighter than cf though (in fact lb for lb cf is heaviest of them all but in practice is lightest in tensile applications), and wouldn't make sense as the primary structure, it would be legit for the areas such as door skins that take impact however. An entire semimonocoque sandwich structure out of cf/nomex with kevlar skins. At least that's what I would do if I had infinite funds...

Edited by getoffmyinternet

• 2 weeks later...

I would see myself buying one of those if i got into an accident or something . Its hard to get a decent frame here up north .

I'll be crossing my fingers for you. :P

Looks like they are continuing to sell them on ebay one at a time, unless the last one didn't pay up or something. I would see myself watching them for a few years to noodle the idea of spending that much on a daily driver. It's still a tossup between that and a corvette. That said if I happen to win the lottery it would have to be a pantera gt5, but I figure the likelihood is pretty slim seeing as how I never buy any tickets. The s30 has surpassed my expectations though don't get me wrong.