HybridZ

Best final drive for 280zxt

neousmcswim

I'd suggest you try out http://webspace.webring.com/people/cz/z_design_studio/transmission.html You will be able to see what your max speed is in each gear. Compare that to what you have now.

Also, what cam will you be using? If it's stock, probably should go with 3.54. If you upgrade so you can make useful power to 7k, then I'd vote for 3.9.

But in the end, it's a personal choice based on how you like to drive and shift. I run a 4.11 and love it, but if you think 5k rpm is a lot of revs, then go with the lower (3.54) diff.

• Administrators

There is no right answer to this question. Being a street car and strip car, god only knows where the power band is and how broad it is, vehicle weight, then throw in how much importance fuel mileage is to the driver, drivability around town and on the freeway, (is the driver OK with the engine screaming 3500+ RPM at freeway speed and only 14 MPG?). Will the car run dedicated drag tires at the strip, if so, how tall, etc. Too many variables to determine ideal strip ratio, then throw in personal preferences for drivability and MPG tolerances and there is no realistic answer that someone other than the driver himself could deem "best with the least compromise".

My suggestion is, once the car is built, drive it around with the diff it currently has for a few months. Get familiar with the car and its demeanor. Then run it at the strip. Depending on how well the car launches and the what RPM the engine is at in relation to its power band and what gear your in through the traps will help point you in a direction of a more desirable final drive ratio for running at the strip. Keeping in mind how that change may also affect the cars demeanor around town and on the freeway as well. :2thumbs:

This is a good example of why we have rule #4, which everyone read before they clicked the "I Agree” button, right?! :wink:

4. There is no Best! No best tires. No best engine. No best diff ratio. No best shock. No best big chrome foot gas pedal. Every car builder and driver is in a different situation. What's good for one might suck for another. The decision on what is "best" for you and your car is completely up to you. As with any decision time' date=' effort, and research is needed by the decision maker - you! Instead of asking what is "best", do some research, explain your situation in excruciating detail, and describe what alternatives you're considering in your decision. Posting a thread with "What's the best..." in the title it is a sure way to get that post tossed into the Tool Shed.

[/quote']

The T5 is notchy. Its an ok transmission and I use it because its already in my car. A shortened Mustang shifter is my preference and I bought a 2008 Mustang shift knob.

http://www.bleachgarage.com/images/z/silverz57.jpg

The non-turbo transmission you mentioned has the tallest 5th gear. Only slightly taller than the T5. It'll be some nice low rpm cruising but not too low. :)

I don't wanna turn this into another T-5 versus Nissan 5sp thread, but I ended up putting my T-5 in my NA 280ZX, and with the 3.7 diff, the spread felt just perfect. It put me right in the powerband for pulling up my local twisties hard.

In my Turbo, the T-5 and the 3.54 feels a little too high for my tastes. I end up lugging up hills in second that the NA would happily climb.

All things considered, I'd base the differential off the way you intend to drive the car. The 3.54 in my Turbo works for me, but I feel like I would have been happier if it was a 3.7, just for climbing up and down twisty mountain roads.