HybridZ

MAS Fiberglass Products!

Mikelly

MAS Fiberglass products makes a one-piece tilting front end for the early Zcar. The price is $460 plus an additional $70 for the hinges. They estimate on $80-100 fee for shipping. I ordered one of their front ends on Friday, and they had it in stock and ready to ship. Should be here by Friday. I'll post pics as soon as I can!

MAS can be contacted @ 651-644-6811 and they are located in Minnisotta

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I'm not to sure that is the exact unit. I am however, gonna modify mine to accept my fiberglass front bumper, spoiler, and some fender flares. Making it fit my personal needs!

Stay tuned... these guys don't have a web site or a catalog. I'll send info as soon as I can. I was told the weight of the front end is sub-40#, and a factory hood is at least that much, so add in the weight of the fenders and headlight buckets....

Mike

------------------

mjk

Mike,

in looking at the pics from the URL posted by RyalC, I have a concern. I personally do not like the look of a 1st-gen Z without the front bumper, so I would want to add one of the fiberglass ones. Also, at the insane speed you will hit and my 120+ in the the traps, I feel a front dam is absolutely required. In looking at the pic with the nose tilted straight up, do you think there is clearance to add those pieces and have them clear the ground when tilting it open?

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

I suspect that removing the factory sheetmetal and front bumper, you should see about 100# loss, losing the bumper struts and all support brackets... Now a bad little trade off really... My concern is being able to attach the fiberglass front bumper, fender flares, and airdam on the front of the car. If I can't get the ground clearance, I'll be DZEUS fastening the unit down and cutting the hood out of the unit, But I'm pretty sure I can get this thing to work! I'm still looking at a chin splitter design with adjustable rods incorporated as well...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Mike if you're looking to make a chin splitter, I can tell you from seeing race cars in the Deutches Museum, Munich Germany, that they are actually quite thick. I saw one on a DTM Audi that was at least 1/2 inch thick. They are fairly robust and stick out 3-6 inches from the front of the car. They use two or three small, slender rod end type mechanisms to keep the thing horizontal.

David

If you look at this months Popular Hot Rodding, there is a Grey Viper in the issue and ithas a chin splitter with adjustable rods on it. That is an excellent example.

Also, the Red Viper on the Front of Road & Track shows another good example of a functional Chin splitter..

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

hey mike, if you are thinking of a chin splitter then don't have the care very low. i have the msa front are dam and i made a retractable chin splitter like the viper with 4 solenoids and it was 1/2 fiberglass. long story short was out playing and doing around 110 and figured to lower it (by the way it sat 1/2 from the ground when lowered and stuck out 5 inches)anyway i got up to 145 and there was a slight dip in the road and needless to say the chin splitter was gone and most of the airdam with it. it had scratches from other runs i guess the front was being pushed down enough because there weren't any dips in the road and i could hear it do a constant scrap at about 130 to 150 top speed before i let off. i wish i would have taken pictures of it but i didn't. was real easy to make but it was ugly when let down. retracted it was out of sight. i plan to do it again when i get another air dam but i am going to make some changes to it as far as ride highth. the viper is throttle control and mine was switch activated. later, chris