HybridZ

quick quick ecu question

enix187

Will the ecu in an 83 280zxt with an automatic work if I swap in a five speed? or do i need an ecu for a five speed? Also, will i have to swap the crank for a five speed conversion. Did a search on both and i couldn't find anything on my ecu question, and think i have a no on the crank switching. I would appreciate a quick response on this.

You will most definitely be able to keep your crank!

You can also keep your flywheel/pp/clutch/slave as long as you keep the same throw-out bearing collar. It's worth it to change the bearing while you have the trans down, and consider doing the clutch at the same time if it is going to need it anytime soon.

Yup. I concur.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one dumb enough to try and swap auto to manual! :D

You definitely don't have to swap the crank, but the spacer you have to take off will definitely look like it's part of the crank. it comes right off. Also, make SURE you put in a pilot bearing!

Other than that, the only thing that really sucks is the pedalbox. I haven't found a good writeup for doing this whole thing, but that's what I'm looking at getting done on wednesday. When I do finally finish this nightmarish process, I think a certain member on this forum might want a writeup for his website *cough cough* xenon *cough*. :)

Enix, PM me if you have any questions about this swap or if you want to help me with my writeup. I just finished doing a lot of this, and it was a pain, so I'd be happy to help someone else not suffer.