HybridZ

floor pans/frame rails?

Guest Anonymous

Weld-in (or at least I've never heard of bolt-on pieces. A descent wire welder will help a lot. First thing I'd check is how bad the rust is. "kind of rusting" indicates to me the corrosion is not terminal yet, so I would consider a good cleaning, a rust converter, and lastly sealing it real good. It not real hard work, just time consuming if you want the job to look good.

Terry

Guest Drewz

Kind of is a relative term... relatively lots when you start digging. frown.gif Weld in is the best and mostly the only proper way to do it, not to mention if you are pulled in a roadside inspection the vehicle is a unibody and therefore needs to be as intact as possible for it to be safe. IMHO! Do it right the first time or you may end spending three or more times the effort and expense for a low quality job. It is just time consuming and with this group of people, you could be well on your way with a lot of great info. wink.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

This is a day job for a competent shop and shouldn't cost you more than $500-750 for a shop to complete. I've had other shops do several for me, but just make sure they do what they say they will. You don't want them to trap rust in.

BTW, for my money, putting a set of subframe connectors in a Zcar is the biggest suspension/ Chassis bang for your buck!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Spoke to a guy at a local Datsun shop last Saturday out my way - one side framerailfloorpan replaced is $1500. X2 if you want both sides done! My framerails are dinged a bit by idiots with jacks but have no rust - talk about a delima. I'm wondering if the dents can be pulled by a skilled bodyshop and I'm afraid of what a frame guy might tell me - drove fine though.

Guest Drewz

The dents don't mean squat if they are small. Also if the car feels square when driven it is PROBABLY good. 1500 is way too much! It is an easy enough job if the car is in good shape. You can just remove the back part of the frame where it gets thinned out into the floorpan, rust treat the area, and weld in the new sections. IMO icon_biggrin.gif