HybridZ

Glass vents completed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I thought I'd share my glass project result, it still needs to be trimmed a bit and smoothed and bondo'ed and in the picture is on a tad crooked on the car, but for a first go I was happy with it. Thanks to all those for the suggestions, and to Terry for sharing the technique with us. The step by step is on my website and will continue on with they're eventual bonding and priming on the car. The back of this piece will be cut out and the wing flap cut out as well to create functioning vents for the engine compartment. This was a fun project, and will result in many more, the next after these will be some sort of hood scoop.

glass5.jpg

Regards,

Lone

Man, that's looking really GOOD!!!

You're doing a great job for first-timing it. You make it look easy. Just how much time did that take you? I bet your next one you do in 1/3 of the time or less based on the law of averages. And then the larger pieces will be "fast" to make as well. It looks like a full on fender-flared "ultimate" Z is in your future!?! Good job, Lone icon_smile.gif

David

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Davey, actually, it didn't take to long, the glassing took like no time at all (I did go with polyester fiberglass instead of the epoxy I was messing with, it was much much faster and its supposed to handle UV better), the prep on the foam molds (or plugs or whatever you call them) was like maybe a couple hours or less.

Its really easy to shape the stuff and then just lay the glass over it. I definately plan on doing more body mods with it, I'd like to do flares, scoop and a deck spoiler (what I originally was going to do first, glad I tried something smaller first).

Only thing I had a problem with was the second one the glass was setting faster and I had to really get it on there in a hurry because it was starting to get to a jelly like state. More pics when they're installed!

Thanks again,

Lone

That looks great especially for your first attempt. The possibilites using this technique are endless. The company I work for uses this process to create all types of items for the theme parks. Anything from characters to rocks, we've even built a 32' tall Ragedy Ann from sculpted foam & fiberglass. Keep it up and keep posting pics.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys, appreciate it! I plan to do more for sure, its fun stuff. Far as books, I havn't read one on it yet, just used the info Terry provided, and the tips from Jeff on sealing the foam which helped to get it off the set fiberglass a little easier, the rest was dumb luck, beginners luck, accident? icon_smile.gif

There is quite a bit of info on the net also, I read this page which is from a guy that has plans for a honda motorcycle based trike kit car and outlines the body construction here:

http://www.rqriley.com/frp-foam.html

Also some of the fiberglass distributors have some tips, this one deals with the Moldless Composite Construction thats pretty decent:

http://www.fiberglassmaterials.com/Bro%25201056Moldless.htm

I'm jazzed about the stuff, trying to figure what to do next. My center dash panel with the heat controls is pretty funky, this morning I pulled it, took all the knobs and vents off of it and I'm trying to figure how to do one either from scratch, or just fill some of the dips in this one and glass over. I also picked up a black tint to add to the resin for that faux carbon fiber look. We'll see, if I come up with something, I'll post it.

Thanks again,

Lone

Center panel huh? I'm looking at that puppy too. I just pulled mine today - what a PITA!

My thoughts are to maybe take a stock one an duse just the outside edge as a frame. Maybe a stainless middle panel and switch over the heatA/C to something aftermarket. Want to keep the top vent and light as well as leave room for a radio. I'm sort of kicking ideas around right now - I've got two UGLY ones and one halfway decent one that's not been chopped up. Please do share any ideas you come up with! It'll be awhile before I have A/C put in and I've got the parts for an aftermarket Nissan setup but the Vintage Air stuff just looks so much more effecient (sigh). Talked to someone who rode in a car with one of those today - he said it blew ice cubes. Must be nice!

Guest JAMIE T

Sweet Lone, I have used this method for building fiberglass speaker enclosures and custom amp racks for competition car stereo systems, you can turn something average into a show stopper when you add some curves and some smooth lines to it. For most interior work, the custom, stereo, and Street rod guys like to use MDF and bondo for center consoles and trim pieces, its a good trick also. Good job, and Good luck.

Jamie

Project DEATHSTAR

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I'm still tossing it around, I was going to glass over it, but decided with all the bumps and dips it'd end up looking funky, I'm not to that stage of fiberglass working yet. (gimme something with gentle curves no problem, those dips and valleys though look a bit hard for a beginner like myself at this point)!

I'm really leaning to using like 1/8" aluminum like Drax did, but keep the middle vent and use just common push pull cables (read: cheap to obtain choke cables from any Kragen or Autozone) to control everything (and the stock rotary switch for the fan motor). Sooo, the dash will have four (one slider operates two cables from what it looks like) push pull knobs, the center vent, fan motor switch, and have room for toggles for whatever and still have a radio. I may still glass the aluminum with black glass, (unless its like powder coated it'll require to much maintanence to buff it out and keep it looking good IMHO). Not exactly a stock looking situation, but hey, they don't call em hybridz's for nuttin eh?

Oh well, pictures when I get to this, I'm just about to start bonding those vents on, picts of that when its done.

Thanks,

Lone