HybridZ

Buying an HPLV Gun...Any Tips???

Mikelly

Guys,

I'm looking at buying an HPLV Gun so I can start to prep the fiberglass front end for primer and paint... Anything I should be looking for in one of these guns... any brand specific I should stay away from? I'm buying a cheap regular gun to spray my POR15 with...

Mike

I have been looking at the Fuji Q3 with interest. It was in a catalog at work. Seemed good for the price. It illustrated most their models and many other brands, but this brand seemed to have the most features and flexibility for the price. They ranged from $300-$700. Not bad for a stand alone system.

Guest Frank280z

700-? Is that for a complete airless system? Or just the gun? I'm looking into a Sharpe or an ATD model. Retails for about 120-150. I too do not know alot about these guns. The pics look the same between the gravity feed spray guns and the hvlp guns. Three regulators: paint flow, air flow, and material width spray pattern. Kind of confusing to be honest.

There does seem to be an upscale hvlp gun manu. called Sata. Up there with DeVilbiss.

I watched one of my friends use a Sata gun to paint a fender this weekend. It sprayed an excellent pattern, even when upside down. He said that with that gun and PPG Concept catalyzed paints, it was nearly impossible to screw up unless you actively tried to do so. Sata guns are priced reasonably, for better equipment. Around $350, on this one website.

http://www.autobodysupply.net/Sata/Satasprayequipment.htm

I liked it much better than my older DeVilbiss or Binks suction guns.

Scott Ferguson

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: RPMS ]

quote:

Originally posted by Frank280z:

700-? Is that for a complete airless system? Or just the gun? I'm looking into a Sharpe or an ATD model. Retails for about 120-150. I too do not know alot about these guns. The pics look the same between the gravity feed spray guns and the hvlp guns. Three regulators: paint flow, air flow, and material width spray pattern. Kind of confusing to be honest.

There does seem to be an upscale hvlp gun manu. called Sata. Up there with DeVilbiss.

Actually, that includes everything, including needle, nozzles, gun, hose and compressor. I don't recall the rating of the gun and pump. I'll look alittle more into it tomorrow. I'll "borrow" the mag. I do believe there was another brand that was alittle cheaper, but seemed alittle to cheap. I don't know if this brand has a cheaper one then $300, but I'll check up on it. I'll be needing one soon. Hopefully sooner then I think

icon_razz.gif