HybridZ

Hinge pin replacement, cheap and easy.

Zgotrip

I thought I would put this up since it worked out so well for me. Sorry no pics..next time…My driver’s door had a ton of vertical movement and turned out to be slop in the upper hinge. In searching around I found that this was a common problem but no rebuild kits for these cars are available (♦correct me if I’m wrong). So after beating the pin out of the hinge I started looking for a replacement. Some people say to use a 8mm bolt to replace the pin but I found that 8mm bolts are more like 7.90mm and had more slop than my worn pin, and then there is the problem of the worn bushings. A little cruising around the internet and I found that door hinge pins for VW bugs up to 67 are 8mm and can be found in over sizes 8.1 and 8.2. The cool thing about these is that they are practically a carbon copy of the z pin same serrated top, but about a quarter inch longer. I got the 8.2mm and took to honing out the holes on the hinge with a little sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit. Yes I’m sure someone has a better tool for this but it worked quite well as I only needed to take off about .10mm of material to get the pin started. I ground the pin down to the same length as the z pin, greased it up, and used a BFH to beat it in. worked perfectly, hinge is nice and tight, zero play and looks totally stock. VW OEM part # 111.831.421 They also made this pin with a threaded top to mount the VW mirror so avoid those. $5 on ebay..

I thought I would put this up since it worked out so well for me. Sorry no pics..next time…My driver’s door had a ton of vertical movement and turned out to be slop in the upper hinge. In searching around I found that this was a common problem but no rebuild kits for these cars are available (♦correct me if I’m wrong). So after beating the pin out of the hinge I started looking for a replacement. Some people say to use a 8mm bolt to replace the pin but I found that 8mm bolts are more like 7.90mm and had more slop than my worn pin, and then there is the problem of the worn bushings. A little cruising around the internet and I found that door hinge pins for VW bugs up to 67 are 8mm and can be found in over sizes 8.1 and 8.2. The cool thing about these is that they are practically a carbon copy of the z pin same serrated top, but about a quarter inch longer. I got the 8.2mm and took to honing out the holes on the hinge with a little sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit. Yes I’m sure someone has a better tool for this but it worked quite well as I only needed to take off about .10mm of material to get the pin started. I ground the pin down to the same length as the z pin, greased it up, and used a BFH to beat it in. worked perfectly, hinge is nice and tight, zero play and looks totally stock. VW OEM part # 111.831.421 They also made this pin with a threaded top to mount the VW mirror so avoid those. $5 on ebay..

Good post. I'm dealing with this right now. Now how about that bushed "wheel" that rotates into a curved arm to hold the door open at full and 1/2 open. The "wheel" on mine is worn flat on one side. Any replacement parts that you are aware of?

G

yea that's the one i used, however it did turn out to be 8.2mm. That worked nice for me but 8mm and 8.1mm are out there from other sellers.had to grind it down and taper the end to match the stock one but after that it looks just like stock. i have no idea whats up with the lower hinge pin...so far