HybridZ

Progress/Body work

Guest Frank280z

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. That was my very first Z, and it was the "experimental" car. After enough glass work on it, I got my nerve up to do the blue beast. Then I let my boy have the red Z for school in Memphis. I got 235K miles out of it, and he only got 11k before he ran it out of oil (front seal was gone, and my mechanical skills somehow refused to osmosize (is that even a word?) to him from me during all his growing up years. "I was wondering why there was oil all over the engine" he said, when I picked him up 100 miles out of town, stranded, with my beloved, innocent, and violated Z sitting on the side of the highway. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, but..... Anyway, the car was then gutted for spares for the blue car, and the body was sold to a fellow Z-car enthusiast here. I saw it on the road the other day finally. When I saw it, my face looked like that old indian in the 70's commercial about littering. A single (but very manly!!!) tear emerged from my left eye as I saw the car drive by. This is why my wife talked me out of selling the blue one a couple of years ago. Heck, she knows me better than I know me (what a woman!!!!!). I did finally have to hog-tie her down to a chair and make her sit through the chase scene in "Bullit". When it was all done, she looked at me with that "deer in the headlights look" and said "why did they have to pass that VW bug so many times?"........... AAAUUUGGGGG! First my boy, and now you!!!! That's when I went out and laid prostrate across the hood of my blue beast and then knew all was still right with the world. Hee hee, tomorrow night I'm renting "Ronin", and this time there will be no mercy. Good Night all.

Terry icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_smile.gif

Terry, you are a man of many talents. My wife just came in the den to see what I was laughing about (read your post above and couldn't help it.) I was picturing your disgust and hugging the Z icon_wink.gif.

Thanks, better than Benny Hill, Eddy Murphy, and Monty Python rolled together!

So, was the Red Z still it good shape externally?

Guest Anonymous

i like the side skirts on Terry's Z. they give the car that look of a vette from the side. are these custom or store bought?

Jake

icon_cool.gif

Guest needwaymorespeed

count me in on one of those rear spoilers if you do this??

I realy want to do the same thing to the back part of my car get rrid of the bumper and fill it in but am concerned about the legality of it.

would I git pulled over for no rear bumper??

what you think?

Curtis

I also think that the 240Z looks alot better without a bumper, if the body is smoothed in that area.

But I don't like having a calling card for being pulled over, so I still will have one. I took a 240Z bumper, and cut 3/4" out of the top horizontal "depth" of it. (BTW, it's so thin, I cut this off over teh entire legth of the middle portion with tin snips!) This makes the bumper shallower and it won't stick out as much as stock. Of course, the brackets need to be shortened (easy) or make new ones (easy) to mount it close to the body.

Also, I'm having it painted the same color as the car to help "hide" it.

I cut it off one each side of the car and I'm making ends for it to taper it down to just reach the corner at the 1/4 panel and rear panel. I used 280Z 1/4 panels and had the bumper mounting hole filled. I don't like the "wrap around" look of the OE bumpers either.

Pete, the early 240Z bumpers look like they have a tight fit to the car. MSA sells fiberglass ones (probably as strong as the metal ones icon_wink.gif ) but I'm wondering if your mod actually pulled them in even closer to the body for an even tighter looking fit? Good call on painting them body color BTW.

David

Guest Anonymous

Guys, I just picked up a 74 260 after only owning the later 280s for 10 years. I haven't even touched the car yet but it has the early bumpers with the u-bracket BUT also has shocks in the rear. Can it be that this is the best of both worlds? It looks like the shocks simply rest against the inside surface of the bumper as there are not bolt flanges on them. Alas, the rear bumper was not on the car so I am guessing at this point.

Craig

Craig, it might be the best of both worlds, but I'm NOT mounting fiberglass (or even the metal bumpers) to provide any significant amount of protection. Really, what I'm after is looks--the tighter the bumper looks in relation to the body the better! I'm hoping that the 8 point cage will provide protection along with the entire front and back ends being the "crush zones."

David

quote:

Originally posted by idealz:

Guys, I just picked up a 74 260 after only owning the later 280s for 10 years. I haven't even touched the car yet but it has the early bumpers with the u-bracket BUT also has shocks in the rear. Can it be that this is the best of both worlds? It looks like the shocks simply rest against the inside surface of the bumper as there are not bolt flanges on them. Alas, the rear bumper was not on the car so I am guessing at this point.

Craig

Both front and back bumper brackets that came on the 260 are actually shocks. I think this was the first year of them. I have already eliminated the rear bumper and shocks on my Z(very dented and rusted and had a bracket on the inside for mounting), but kept the bumper on the front and let the air out of the shocks. I plan to run a bolt back through it once I have it at the right spot in relation to the body. Has any of you 240 owners with 1/8-1/4" clearance had some rubbing of the paint on the wrap around part of the bumper. I know mine would wiggle up and down when hitting bumps. As I have yet to remount the bumper and will be installing it when I get the Z painted I would really hate myself if I suddenly had some whiskers on my new paint by the bumpers.

icon_mad.gif

Guest Anonymous

DavyZ/All:

I was not even beginning to imply that the bumpers have a chance of looking better than a Z car without bumpers. What I really meant was "the best of both protection AND small bumpers". I, too, think the car looks awesome without any bumpers but I will be doing a lot of street driving and need the protection; if from nothing more than grocery carts icon_smile.gif

Craig

Yeah, the stock 240Z bumper is very close usually 1/8" to 1/4" from what I've seen. Since grinding chrome off is SUCH a PITA, and I couldn't find a place to get it stripped off electro-chemically, and my attempts at electro-chem stripping were horrible, I really wished I'd gone the fiber glass route. Trimming the depth down would be easy as well. One thing I thought about doing was to weld a tube inside the bumper to add to its strength and stiffness. You could incorporate it into new brackets on the fiberglass bumper.

Craig, I totally understood what you meant. Yes, it is the best of both worlds!

But, my 260Z bumpers are made of such thin sheet metal, I really don't think they'll stop anything larger than a shopping cart (as you said icon_smile.gif)!!! I'm deciding now that if the 240Z I get still has the metal bumpers, I'll yank them in favor of the fiberglass ones since I want them body color and without rust. Of course, if they are really nice, like my 260Z bumpers were, then maybe I'll flip a coin in favor of them. Who knows...I just need a car!

David