HybridZ

Progress/Body work

Guest Frank280z

Guest Anonymous

My back bumper is funky like that, (and yes its about 1/8" from the body btw) chrome wise, flaking off, rusty. I want to paint em black, but was wondering on the prep, would sand blasting take the remaining chrome off, or would it create a pile of metal dust? Glass would be ok, but if I can save 100.00 or so, I'd do it with the stockers and some black paint..

Regards,

Lone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got those glass bumpers - painted body color too. They are indeed easy to mount but pretty flimsy too. I'm not sure a pipe inside them would add much to the strength in an accident as the mounts are a joke from a strength standpoint too. I've pretty much resolved myself to the rear being a crush zone with the hope that the fuel cell doesn't turn me into a Pinto style Challenger experience! I've got foam in it but no bladder and the sump just peeks under the rollpan. The previous bumper was tapped once or twice, I've got the dents in the rollpan from it to prove it (grr). Those dents are VERY obvious now that I've got the new bumpers on the car (sigh). I intentionally didn't have the rollbar extended back there on my chassis guy's advice - he didn't want the car that rigid in an accident. It shouldn't crush past the strut towers...

Lone, yeah, the $100 plus shipping made me go for the metal one I had too.

BLKMGK, yeah, I'd only do the tube in the bumper thing if I made new and better brackets. Does the glass rear bumper have different brackets or does it bolt to the OE u shaped bracket?

MSA glass bumpers used stock mount points on my car. The mounts were glassed in and thin metal. Just leaning on the bumper is enough to make it groan so expect ZERO protection from them icon_smile.gif I'm not even sure a grocery cart would be stoped if it were rolling downhill! They look pretty sweet but if someone hits me there will be hell to pay...