HybridZ

Louvers in hoods or fenders

jhaag

I've seen a variety of sizes and styles of louvers in hoods and the tops of fenders. Most of the time, the louvers don't look like they came stock on the car. How is this done? Is some kind of a die used? If so, how would something the size of a fender or hood be fastened so a die could be used? Something I've always wondered about. Some people say the only "dumb" question is one that is never asked so, if that's true, I'm asking. icon_smile.gif

Guest Fast Frog

Not a dumb question, John! I too have been looking for a set of nice looking but functional fender vents! I've checked out the 78-79 Camaro and Firebird as well as the ones used with the 250GTO body kit. I'm about ready to visit a local plastic company and see about getting a set made in same configuration as the ones on the Cobra. Does anybody have access to a Whitney's catalog? If so, does Whitney's have fender vents?

[ May 23, 2001: Message edited by: Fast Frog ]

Guest Anonymous

I sent my rust free inspection lids to MSA and they punched louvers in them for $45. That was cheaper than the local hot rod shops minimum charge. Beware, the first ones I got from MSA had rust and were punched poorly. Sent them back and had them punch mine. Perfect!

Guest zfan

Had my hood punched locally in Dallas Tx. 2.00 per louver. Dang it sure can add up but looks awsome with the pearl purple paint job. Mike icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, as he said, a press with a louver die in it, generally they differ from your average press in that they have more room between the upright and the actual die.

I've also seen a louver die for a beading machine (used for putting a bead in metal panels making them stiff), you put the metal in, and slowly roll the dies and it makes as long a louver as you like. That setup is restricted because the work runs into the beader if your doing very many of them on a very large panel. I looked into louver dies and the cheapest I could find was like 750.00...... Sooooo, yeah a hotrod shop would be the answer...

Regards,

Lone

Yes, JC Whitney just started carrying a part that looks like louvered vents. They look a lot like the Cobra and Ferrari pieces that go into the side of the fenders just behind the front wheel. Don't know if they are fiberglass or ABS. They'd look great on a Z if they aren't too big.

Most louvered hoods have them sticking up out of the hood. Has anyone seen them going down the otherway? I'm picturing it, and think it would look ok and not lose the "smooth" lines and appearance of the stock hood. It would be "original."

David