HybridZ

78 280Z tach just stopped working today

The tach has always worked fine. It's not slow to move the needle, doesnt stumble or flutter but it has completely stopped once or twice before then returns to functioning normally. Today i dropped the gas tank, cleaned it all out, replaced a few fuel lines etc in an attempt to diagnose my cutting out issue which i havent been able to duplicate.

Any idea what might have caused the tach to stop working. I drove around for about 20 minutes and it just suddenly stopped. I did mess around inside of the distrubutor and and remove the black magnetic trigger or whatever it was and put it back where it seemed to be. Where exactly does the tach get its signal from? Also any ideas on my random shut off and no restart for 5 min condition?

Well i wasn't sure if i damaged something by removing the black magnetic sensor or whatever it is in the distributor. I know little to nothing about the distributors. It's not a points distributor and it's not an electronic one because there is no ignition module that i can find. There is a black sensor that to me is some sort of magnetic pick up sensor for the distributor cam.

Anyway thanks for the help i'll try to check it out some more tomorrow.

I've also heard those tachs are prone to failure (besides the needle hopping that is reported by many). I currently have the same issue (no signs of life, new ignition module and tach adaptor).

You need to take the dash off to get the gauges (of course). Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the tach out of the back of the dash to inspect it. FSM is in the car and will be locked away for a few days.

Classiczcars.com has a few good ideas on the actual repair, as well as the (transistor?) part number that usually fails.

Edited by Tommy

Tommy those links arent working for me for some reason.

Iordered a new transistor ignition module as this is what is causing my random cut off and no start condition as well as a new ecu and a new ignition module to see if any of that helps. I also have a spare afm incase the one on there does work with the new ecu.

Anybody know what that black part is in the distrubutor or what the clearence should be set it?