HybridZ

Kameari 3.15 Gear Set too Big?

rucus01

Did they tell you how an open would work if the LSD wouldn't? Sounds a bit weird, unless the gearset comes with it's own carrier that has a different offset.

Devin is still working on it but basically he said it would work with the open, but the osgiken is .040 bigger than the open carrier so it wont fit. I sent him all the info on the gears and he is going to try and work something out. I was just curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

.040 too big in what way? Is the pilot where the ring gear slips on too large in diameter? Could be machined down. Too tall in step? Could also be machined 1mm. If you set the carrier down the left side bearing so that you can see where the ring gear bolts on, then measure from the bench to the surface where the ring gear bolts to, that is the step.

FWIW most carriers have a press fit with the ring gear on the LSD, the Nissans don't seem to at all. I'd suggest that if you have a pilot that is too large you machine it for a press fit.

Wait a minute. He said the PINION is too big. Makes me think the end of the teeth on the pinion are hitting the LSD. The LSD doesn't taper down like the open carrier does and a 3.15 gearset will have a larger OD. If that's the case I'd grind on the pinion gear. Sounds extreme, but it's not the end of the world. Some info about grinding gears for clearance or repair here: http://www.ringpinion.com/TipArchives.aspx

Wait a minute. He said the PINION is too big. Makes me think the end of the teeth on the pinion are hitting the LSD. The LSD doesn't taper down like the open carrier does and a 3.15 gearset will have a larger OD. If that's the case I'd grind on the pinion gear. Sounds extreme, but it's not the end of the world. Some info about grinding gears for clearance or repair here: http://www.ringpinion.com/TipArchives.aspx

Just spoke with Devin again and he said they are taking the pinion to there machine shop and they are going to grind it down to clear. Hopefully that will work without a problem.

Jerry called from Unitrax this morning asking how to fit the OSG with the 3.15 gear. In this situation they needed to move the pinion a bit deeper into the ring gear to get the right pattern. The solution is what Jon posted above - machine the face of the pinion to get the clearance needed (about .035" I think). The OSG case is a bit larger in OD then anything else run in the R200.

Jerry called from Unitrax this morning asking how to fit the OSG with the 3.15 gear. In this situation they needed to move the pinion a bit deeper into the ring gear to get the right pattern. The solution is what Jon posted above - machine the face of the pinion to get the clearance needed (about .035" I think). The OSG case is a bit larger in OD then anything else run in the R200.

The took it to the machine shop yesterday and took care of it for me John. Its already in the mail on its way back. I appreciate all the help. I cant recommend unitrax enough. They did a great job at a reasonable price. I cant think you enough either for the help John.