HybridZ

Your thoughts on Zolotone...

DavyZ

I was at the last Datsun meet in Palo Alto, CA a few weeks ago and saw a few cars (Zs, 510s) with engine compartments sprayed with what looks like Zolotone paint. The stuff looks like high build "spatter" type paint and has a nice effect in that it draws your eyes away from the boring engine compartment sheetmetal and you focus on the "important" stuff like the engine, braided steel hoses, etc. The question remains in mind--how good is this stuff in terms of wear? Is it tough? Anyone here use it? If I am contemplating using this stuff, should I go with the name brand or get the generic stuff? This looks to be a solution for me, because it will hide engine compartment blemishes and I won't have to pay extra to get the engine compartment painted by the body shop when the whole car is painted. Opinions please! smile.gif

David

Dave,

I have checked into it an that stuff seems to wear well on the cars I have seen it on. I also tend to agree that it helps mask blemishes in the engine bay. I used a Satin black paint from Kmart on mine, but will likely shoot something else over it with my new paint gun.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Thanks, Mike. That was what I was hoping for. Although not to everyone's taste, I'll be shooting this stuff when the time comes. The actual brand name stuff is fairly pricey, and I would very much consider an alternative--if anyone knows of a good quality one, I'm all ears. Thanks.

David

• 1 month later...

DavyZ,

Did you use the Zolotone product? I also am wondering what paint to use for my engine compartment. A friend has recommended Zolotone and he likes it.

Any additional thoughts on the subject since April, or anyone else?

Thanks,

Greg SmileZ

No pics yet, sorry. The cars I saw at the Natl's had the engine compartments painted with similar looking products from automotive stores and even from hardware stores. I asked about longevity, etc, and they assured me even the hardware store stuff does well.

I looked at Eastwood's trunk paint, which I won't buy because the colors are wrong, and they said to use clear over the paint for longevity. After seeing the cars at the MSA Nats, I'm convinced this is the way to go. I have not been able to price the actual Zolotone product locally, but when I do, I'll post it. I'll also ask for them to put it in a spray bomb for me. I've gotten really good with those spray cans icon_smile.gif

David

Guest Anonymous

Carl Beck had a post on this subject on the IZCC list and he says it is real good stuff. And being that he is so meticulous in restoring his old 240's I would have to think it is pretty durable as long as the metal is properly prepped before application. Les

I just got back from the Good Guys Show in Pleasanton. I saw quite a few cars, especially race cars that had Zolotone in the passenger area and in the engine compartment. It really looks good. I'm going to use this stuff in the engine compartment for sure--plus it'll hide any "mistakes" I might make to the paint, etc. I'll plug all the little holes left from ripping out the old electrics, etc, and then spray away.

I've seen Z cars with Zolotone over everything, including the brake lines, and Z's that had the brake lines masked off. Would there be any pertinent reason to mask off the brake lines in the engine compartment and NOT paint them? Anyone know?

BLKMGK: I thought about black for the engine compartment, but I thought about the "maintenance" and possible problems with it...so I made my decision for the Zolotone instead.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I might have been spelling it incorrectly! Thanks for the links--the "Lilith Charcoal" is nice, but I was thinking something lighter in the engine compartment like "Grey Stone." However, if I'll paint the passenger compartment to match the engine compartment, I'll definitely go with the Lilith Charcoal color.

David