HybridZ

Marker Light Removal

Guest Willieboy240z

Guest Willieboy240z

I am preparing my car for repainting and some minor body work. I heard somewhere that some people have removed their side marker lights for a cleaner look. I would like to consider doing this. Any thoughts?

I think the body looks "cleaner" with no marker lights, side moulding, or insignias. Some guys have shaved their door handles too! Just make sure the local HEAT won't bother you if you do this mod.

The only other issue I can think of is using the signal for turning purposes. Will other drivers see you and know what you want to do if you have no side markers? Sure you have the front and back ones...but just make sure you are comfortable about nixing them altogether. Just my $.02.

David

Guest Anonymous

It would be a REAL GOOD idea to replace them with a mod like putting some small ones in the bumper or use 240 airdam with signal lights in it. You would be surprised how many people "can't see you" when everything is normal, if you get in a wreck and the signal lights can't be seen you will have a long day in court. Les

Umm waitasec! On a 240Z th eside marker lights are just that - markers! No blinky blinky when you hit the signal! There's supposed ot be a way to twiddle with the ground wires to get them to blink opposite of the turn signals in the back (front too?) but I've not yet tackled that.

Personally I want the Hyundai markers along with the blinky blinky. I even caught myself looking at the generic markers at Trak Auto tonight! AAhhhh! icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

After alot of thought, I decided that side markers are a good thing. The problem is that they are too big and ugly.

The first thing I did was to remove the large rubber piece and screw them to the car without it. That reduced the size somewhat. Next I will probably do something along the lines Blkmgk mentioned and put smaller aftermarket lights in the stock holes and just make a trim piece out of aluminum or carbon fiber for a custom look. icon_biggrin.gif

Look at Alsil's site (he posts on the Ford Forum a lot) He had Hyundai side markers--they make for an easy and very clean almost flush mounted mod. Very tasty if you ask me--check it out. I tell you if I can find these in the junkyard, I'll pull them and mount them.

If you want to go new, look at the pickup magazines and even motorcycle magazines--you'd be surprised at what shows up! I never did until recently, and they have opened my thinking up to a lot more possibilities! Also, try some of the rice rags--they have a lot of "custom" stuff in those.

David

Are we talking side markers or side indicators? Where I am, side markers are right in front of the leading edge of the door, like Porsche, Saab, etc. This was the big thing back in the days before the import craze. Ahhh, I remember hunting the parking lots (not junk yards) for those Saabs.

I was thinking of adding these to the Z, but am debating...they are pretty played out border line cool. But safe nonetheless!

There WAS a way to make the lites blink alternately from the turn signals, can't remember though...

Owen

Guest Anonymous

When I shaved my turn signals ;after prepping the inside of the fender I used fiberglass matting on wax paper and pressed it over the opening .After it cured I put a light coat of "mud" over it. In between coats,actually accidentally when putting the light underneath to speed cure time, I noticed that the mat had a transparency to it. I experimented with a couple of coats of paint and backlighting.Produced some interesting results, but decided to go with origial plan. For right now I have one of those "trendy lights" that Owen mentioned.But I am scopeing out mirrors with lights.I saw one on the outside edge of the mirror (BMW)I also like the lighted arrow in side the mirror(Navigator).Also saw an add in a surplus cat. for a motorcycle style(lolipop)with a lighted arrow mirror,might bee kinda cool up on the fender. icon_confused.gif

I'd love a mirror with a marker and turn signal. For that matter, I'd love to find a decent mirror period that didn't require a ton of work to mount. I'd like to know what model and year Hyundai too - hell if the price is right I'd buy the silly things new and skip the junkyard run.. wish we had the pick 'n pull tpe places aorund here. Last time I went to a junkyard it was a deathtrap. Ah the good old days icon_smile.gif Need to get out to a junkyard again!

Hey SCCA - how did those Miata mirrors work out?

Guest Willieboy240z

Very intelligent and well thought out comments here. Thanks!

So far, the solution that appeals to me best is keeping the original lights installed -- but making them look cleaner and more streamlined by removing the thick rubber gaskets.

The safety features are important, so now I don't think totally getting rid of the lighting is appropriate for me.

Incidentially, I am impressed that on this forum nobody treated this question like it was from a dumbass. I posted a similar question on another web site forum -- and nearly all of the replies were along the lines of "why would you want to do a dumb thing like that?" I like the fact that people here seem to have a more open mind about modifications! :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Will240z:

Very intelligent and well thought out comments here. Thanks!

...snip...

Incidentially, I am impressed that on this forum nobody treated this question like it was from a dumbass. I posted a similar question on another web site forum -- and nearly all of the replies were along the lines of "why would you want to do a dumb thing like that?" I like the fact that people here seem to have a more open mind about modifications!
:-)

I bet I know what forum that would be icon_wink.gif. We don't allow that here. Open minds are what this place is about - heck, alot of us are using non-Nissan engines! That's how we got started (Thanks Owen, then Dan!)

I'm probably going to do what BLKMGK said - just go to a Hyundai dealer and get the parts for an 89 Excel. I saw a Lexus SUV that had some nice small front ones - I may check around.

Guest Willieboy240z

Pete,

I don't any problem with people being funny or even sarcastic in postings -- as long as something worthy is contributed.

My gripe is people who feel compelled to comment "seriously" on something on which they have absolutely no knowledge or experience. If I want opinions like that, I'll ASK MY WIFE! icon_smile.gif

There's a website that sells after market mirrors with LEDs in the pattern of an arrow. They're really big SUV sized mirrors. Check out the Benz's and stuff, they have clear lens on the forward part of the mirror with lites in them.

Also cool are the clear side markers, someone here at work as a convertible Volvo and they look pretty good.

Owen

Al Silvera's site says that they cover over the stock hole--all that needs to be done is drill a second hole for the screw to go thru. Otherwise it's a worthy mod. I didn't notice too many Hyundais in the yards...of course I was looking for Z's at the time. I even found a Maxima with those elusive rear disc brakets--came back later and couldn't find the car!!! Stupid...

David

also, since we're talking neato' mods.... Look through some of the Ford mags like MM&FF - there's a company selling those nice self dimming rear view mirrors fairly cheap. If you get the convertble model it's even got map lights. The regualr one as an outside temp gauge. You'd probbly have to glue it to the windshield instead of the stock Z stalk but.... I've got the GM version of this in the Impalla - awesome! No more being blinded from behind. icon_eek.gif

Yes, you'd run a wire along the top of the windshield behind the trim. It owuld ten go straigh tdow nto the mirror. It wouldn't stick out anymore than the stem holding the stock mirror. Our Impalla has one of these and until one day when th emirror fell off I never noticed the wire! I was real worried about gluing that sucker back up having heard horror stories but when I followed the instructions on the adhesive bottle to the letter it stuck VERY well and has been up solid for over a year (shrug). No reason the Z wouldn't be the same IMO.

I've not done this to my Z yet as the mirror is about $100 new and is low on my list of to-do's. Might find a nicer one in the junkyard too icon_smile.gif Many luxury cars and mini-vans have similiar setups these days - you don't notice their wires do you? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Zpeed

what i was thinking but is probably out of my league, but to get those mirrors that have the blinkers on the mirror, liek what owne was saying, this way i can get good quality mirrors, plus remove the side blinker, i think it is some european car that has the mirror with the blinker on it