HybridZ

Msa Front Brake Kit Install Question

I am undergoing the front brake swap from MSA with the toyota brakes and have come to a hault. The kit gave me two codder pins. One that goes from each pin running through the brake lining up the pads. Then I am stuck with a codder pin in the shape of an M. I have been looking at the brake for quite some time and I am stumped "Even searched through forum for pictures of the brake for about 2 hours and can only see were the codderpin on the outside goes." Anyone else come across this? I am sure it is something I am just not noticing but if you know what I am going through some help would be awesome.

-Thanks

A picture would be good. I did the toyota swap too, but bought the parts separately, not as a kit from MSA. I vaguely remember that there were 2 pieces of spring wire in the caliper hardware kit, and one of them was for a different application so I tossed it out.

BTW, I think you are referring to a Cotter Pin?

Cotter%20Pin.jpg

Or is it something else?

I'm sorry codder pin was the wrong word to use. I don't know what I was thinking when typing that but here is a picture. The pin in front of the brake that looks like an M appears to have nowere to go. If anyone has installed these brakes I would love to know if you used it or were it goes.

post-4199-1268359022522_thumb.jpg

That piece reminds me of the pieces I tossed. You should have another piece that is about 4-5" long with both ends slightly bent down that goes through the ends of the two pins (each 2-3" long) that hold the pads in place. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the assembled caliper handy - perhaps someone else does?

I know what your talking about and that is actually installed on the brake in that picture. I just have been convinced that I do not need that. I will go on installin it w/o but keep it incase. I just hate being worried about something not workin and especially when it involves brakes.

That "M" shaped spring is actually an anti-rattle spring. It helps the brakes stay a little quieter. I've done brakes on the the Toyota trucks, and sometimes they're there sometimes they're not. You can get away with not having them on. The "M" spring goes over the top pin with the bottom peak of the "M" facing out towards the caliper. When the caliper goes on it applies tension onto the spring. The two ends of the spring go into the holes of the brake pads. Hope this helps, and I hope my discription isn't to vague.

That "M" shaped spring is actually an anti-rattle spring. It helps the brakes stay a little quieter. I've done brakes on the the Toyota trucks, and sometimes they're there sometimes they're not. You can get away with not having them on. The "M" spring goes over the top pin with the bottom peak of the "M" facing out towards the caliper. When the caliper goes on it applies tension onto the spring. The two ends of the spring go into the holes of the brake pads. Hope this helps, and I hope my discription isn't to vague.

Bingo! Good catch.

The anti-rattle spring is found on more than a few vehicles. I just redid my neighbor's breaks on his Ford truck and there were similar springs on there. I personally like them and I reinstall them.

Davy