HybridZ

Greg's BRE 240z down under

They don't seem to run very hot so I think it should be OK. But I am not worried anyway because its not really designed as a road car. They are only really there to satisfy the regulation.

It might not be the most efficient way of demisting the screen but my hair has never looked better.

Any way I like the insulation smell:

Is there a problem officer?

Why were you swerving over the road? Are you high on something?

No no its just my hair dryers.

Edited by galderdi

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't describe 1:06 as awesome. It is certainly respectable but the best of the S-30s can break into the 59s so I still have a way to go. But considering the difference in budget I am certainly satisfied. No I hadn't planned to attend within the next few months. I have only just received the motorkhana calendar for the year so I am still planning out how it all fits together. I need to squeeze my modifications into that schedule too.

A quick update. I almost completed a swap from the standard Univeral Half Shafts to the Wolf Creek CVs. It was mostly straight forward. IT does call for the rubber boots to be pulled back so grease can be inserted on both sides of the CV. The first rubber boot I tried to pull back was stuck on the CV so it had be confused, I thought I might have misunderstood the instruction. So I temporarily gave up and just pushed the grease through from one side and worked it through the joint with a waving action. But then one of the other boots came lose so it confirmed the instruction was correct. This was a great result because I hated not being able to see if the grease had made it all the way through the joint.

The other major finding was the application of this modification over the top of the WRX STI R180 mod. I don't know if anyone else has tried this combination. I think John.C's input shafts are brilliant but I think they protrude slightly further out from the diff than the original input shafts. This isn't an issue with the original half shafts but as soon as you add the adaptor and CV the clearance to right control arm is elliminated. I trimmed the control arm with a grinder to create some clearance. I will try to remember to take some photos before I finish the job.

I also note the CVs save 800 grams per side. I get the double whammy of 1.6KG overall car weight saving plus a 800 gram unsprung weight saving per side. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on the car. I have had the 280zx rear brake conversion in the car now for a while. I had already converted to a 280zx handbrake cable. But the sheath for the standard 280zx cable is unequal length. The cable itself was long enough to reach both sides but the sheath was about 4 inches short on one side. So at the time I made a steel adaptor to bridge the gap left by the short sheath. But it was dodgy and I've been intending to redo it for a while. So I have gathered a couple more cables. I cut the two long sides off and I am rejoining them together to make a cable that is equal length. I already had one attempt at rejoining them but the fittings I used were too bulky so I have purchased a swagging tool and the swages to redo the joint. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Attended my first event for 2012. It was a motorkhana. It sure did test the new CV conversion. All seems to be OK although I am now due for a new set of street rubber. It wasn't a very serious event but was heaps of fun as always. I hope to load some video in the next day or so.

I have another one in 2 weeks :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a video of the next motorkhana. My young protege, Joel, is driving the car. Hes doing ok considering his inexperience. He's only been in two motorkhanas and its only his 5th time driving a car at all. But he needs to learn to drive within his abilities as you can see in the video.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my video from the Gatton Street sprints 2012. Sorry about the quality of the video. I was running a new seat that has me sitting a bit higher so the camera couldn't cope with the added contrast. I will need to modify my sun visor to reduce the contrast.

Also it was very wet a lot of the time and had a good chance to test the hair dryer windscreen demister. If I started with a foggy window it took a while to clear but once it was clear it was quite effective in keeping it clear. No patches either.

Edited by galderdi

• 9 months later...

Guys, I searched the forum but can't seem to find what I am after.

I want confirmation that my plan makes sense.

I currently have the battery relocated to behind the passenger seat for better weight distribution. Then the lead run to a cut off switch on the centre console. So if I have an incident I can disconnect the battery. from the switch it then reconnects to the same points as the original leads.

But this all means if I flick the switch while the car is still running the can can continue running by using the power from the alternator.

I believe this is because the power to the ignition switch is connected to the alternator.

My plan is to replace the charge wire connecting the alternator to the battery so that it connects on the battery side of the cut off switch. The theory is when the switch is thrown there will not be any power through the ignition to keep the alternator or engine running.

Does this sound correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Made two modifications over the weekend.

1. I disconnected the original Charge wire from the alternator and replaced it with a new charge wire from the alternator directly to the battery. Now my battery cut off actually cuts the engine. However the side effect is that I now have a live wire running from the battery all the way to the alternator even when the cut off switch is activated. This is not ideal because one of the main ideas of the cut off swich is to disconnect all the live wires from the battery. But it is a dual pole switch and the other pole has been used to disconnect the earth. So I figure even if I have an incident and through the switch but the live wire connects with the chassis there will be no earth to complete the circuit. I will check this theory. The only other option is to introduce a secondary cut off switch. If I went with this idea I would have both positives on the dual pole switch as the primary and the earth on the secondary. In that way in an emergency I can cut the positive power and the engine using the primary switch. Then if want the added safety of complete isolation of the battery I can use the secondary switch.

2. I think I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum the potentially deadly risk associated with hydraulic handbrakes. The issue being there is no stopper to prevent them being pushed down which then pulls the insides out of the master cylinder and disabling the entire braking system. (I found this out the hard way in one of my cars but luckily avoided any major impacts by using the original cable handbrake). So this weekend I made a stopper which bolts on to the handbrake handle and presses against the transmission tunnel and does not allow the handle to be pressed down. The stopper is fairly neat and light weight so I'm happy with the outcome.

Greg,

Is your cutoff switch near the battery? Couldn't you have battery + to cutoff switch, cutoff switch to alternator and to whatever else it is going to?

Or was that what was keeping your car running on?

Yes the cutoff switch is near the battery.

Yes having the alternator connected to the other side of the switch was keeping the engine running because it was supplying power through to the ignition circuit.

I think it will be OK as it is now because although there is power on the new cable running directly from the battery to the alternator there is no power or earth anywhere else.

I plan to test this theory and if it proves correct I will let sleeping dogs lie. If I am wrong then I will need to alter the setup again. If thats the case I think I will opt for the alternator on one side of the dual pole switch with the remaining harness on the other side. Then a secondary switch purely for the earth just to be sure to be sure (like wearing two condoms).

Yeah, it is venomous but apparently not as bad as the other native snakes we get down here its only ranked 21 in the world.

We have the top 11 here in Australia. 

and 20 of the top 25

So who needs guns :wink:

http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html

Luckily that Red bell Black was on the apex of the corner so there was no chance I would hit it :D

• 1 month later...

Here are my videos from Gatton 2013. The plan is, this is my last event with the current engine. I will start the engine swap soon with the hope to get a little more than the current 13 horse power :-)

(Make sure to hover over the box just before I start this one