HybridZ

Original 1973 240Z 5-spd

Ok, I am new to the site and have just purchased a 1973 240Z as a project to start working on. My trans is NOT a ZX 5-spd trans. it is the special order only 1973 240Z 5-spd trans. My question is: is it any good? I also am in need of some good struts (all of them) what do you have for sale? Anybody in the Waco TX area got a nice Z I could look at???

Thanks

Before someone yells at you i would recommend doing some searches, and Ive never heard of a 240z coming with a 5 speed from the factory. Who told you that it had that? If it was the previous owner i would tend to not believe him.

Yeah that year was Forsure a 4speed trans... I've hear that you could get a 5speed from factory but that was after 74.

Well “actually†in addition to the roadster 5spd. you could order a Type “B†5 spd. Over the Parts Counter in 73 and have it installed. There were several option’s related to gear ratio’s and synchro. types.

The 5 spd. was standard in the 240Z’s sold outside of North America.

FWIW,

Carl B.

OK, I will do some searching first before post a question on this site. Yea, that info did come from the previous owner but he seames pretty credible to me. He told me he used to be a Z-car judge and that Datsun did make the 5-spd but only as a special order option and only in 1973. It has a small round flange on the driveshaft end. This is not my first Z car but it is my first 240Z. Thanks for all of your thoughts & input.

if you are looking for things to buy you can browse through the "Parts for sale" section,or can post a WTB in the "Parts wanted" section of the forum.

if new shocks there are so many places to look, MSA, Blackdragon, ebay, etc etc.

Edited by sileightygx

Yea, that info did come from the previous owner but he seames pretty credible to me. He told me he used to be a Z-car judge and that Datsun did make the 5-spd but only as a special order option and only in 1973.

Sorry - the privious owner is simply wrong. There were NO Special Order Options for the Datsun 240Z in the US in 73. If you wanted a 5 spd. - as mentioned above - you ordered it over the Parts Counter and had it put in after you owned the car.

So... don't repeat that previous owner story around people that know anything about the 240Z's - they will laugh at you. :(

It has a small round flange on the driveshaft end. This is not my first Z car but it is my first 240Z. Thanks for all of your thoughts & input.

If it has a flange on the output shaft - it is the Type A 5spd. Same as the Datsun Roadster, with the bell housing and tail shaft housing changed out.. Datsun Competition Parts offered the transmission and the kit to convert it to use in the Z

FWIW,

Carl B.