HybridZ

Ignition wiring PLEASE HELP (I've searched)

Ok, so i am doing an 82zxt swap into a 78 280z. I am like 95% on everything, all i have left to do is fill her up with fluids and figure out the ignition wiring and i why i dont seem to be getting any spark. Im pretty good at putting fluids in so that just leaves the wiring. I have searched and read bumblezee and zeeari's threads but i am just useless at wiring anything (i even get my stereos installed at bestbuy..ripoff). I think i have most of it right except i cant figure out where to put the yellow wire coming out of the 8 pin connector that needs "start 12v power" and the black/white wire coming out of the ignition harness that needs "switched 12v power". As i understand it those are the only two wires that need power and that i should be able to splice them into the existing ignition switch in the car already. Problem being is their is 4 wires (black/white..black/yellow..white/red..blue/red) and i dont know where to splice.

I know this has been covered many times but i am doing this swap with no outside help and i am what you would consider a "novice", especially at electronics.

So if you you guys that have done this swap tell me where to put those two power hungry wires, or at least point me in the right direction, or maybe tell me im completly wrong i very would very much appreciate it.

If you need a refresher on the wiring setup heres the post i referenced before Ignition scroll down the page for pics

also tell me if you are confused on my writing and require pics to see what im saying

Thanks, Josh

Edited by jhill

Well that's exactly what I thought I needed, yet, I still have no spark. I feel completely retarded, and my car has been sitting in the garage for a month because I cannot figure a couple of wires out. When small things kill a project it is so frustrating.

Well that's exactly what I thought I needed, yet, I still have no spark. I feel completely retarded, and my car has been sitting in the garage for a month because I cannot figure a couple of wires out. When small things kill a project it is so frustrating.

Is your coil good? Check all of your grounds. Go through with multimeter and make sure the wires have the correct voltage. Check the wires over and over and over and over. Make sure your distributor wires are hooked up right. One wire not on the dizzy and it won't work.

Ok, so I went and bought a multimeter, pretty cool tool and helpful. Now I know that the black wire on the ignitor is getting 12v when the key is on and the yellow is getting none. What is troubling is that the yellow jumper wire between the 8pin connector and the ignition harness (the one they say "DO NOT CUT" but I cut by accident and then patched) is getting no power at all either. Now can i splice the yellow wire coming off the ignitor to starting power? Maybe from the ignition switch?

I realize this is one of those things that "you really gotta be there" to really understand what I'm talking about, but your input is still greatly appreciated.

post-4865-12687841241427_thumb.jpg