HybridZ

Orange PEEl?????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Nothing a lot of wet sanding and buffing can't fix, most of the time. It really depends on the type of paint used and whether or not it was baked to cure.

The orange peel is caused by a combination of things. Most often it is due to a "hotter" mixture being placed over the surface of another product...i.e. Lacquer being placed on top of an enamel. It basically, cooks off the undercoating producing the undesired effect "orange peel". The long and tedious process of sanding down to bare metal the exposed areas, reglazing, feathering, repriming and blocking starts all over again. Stick with the laq. based products. They flash-off the quickest and usually are easier to work with. Painting is a lot like building a car...its a learning experience. Best of luck!

Compliments,

icon_cool.gif Van

Guest Anonymous

Oangepeel is also caused by not having a clean area underneath the paint in addition to not properly mixing the paint. I have also been told by the people at Dupont, that painting on a very humid day can cause peel. As for using laquer paint, I wouldn't use it unless you plan to paint the car again in about 2 years. It looks good at first but doesn't last. Best bet is a Base coat/Clearcoat paintjob.

Guest Anonymous

Amen to that! I had my 77 painted with cheap lacquer several years ago when the wife and I were just getting started. Now my pretty blue car looks like someone rubbed white chalk all over it. No amount of buffing will fix it.

Craig