HybridZ

Porsche 944 seats

LoneStarS30Z

Have any of you guys heard of or have installed 944 seats in your Z's? I believe they came in other models too (i.e. 924 and so on).

Just wondering how much effort was needed to make their seats brackets work for a 240Z.

Also wondering if you guys would know some places to maybe find a pair. I've check ebay and tried some Porsche forums and not much luck.

And last thing, is there any Miata seat install write ups around here? I'm gonna search for it and see what I get.

I've heard of it, pretty sure it was on this forum. Did you try a search? I was looking into it once because I was interested in doing it myself, but in the end they seemed out of my price range. Even the ones you find might not be perfect or they are the ones that had all the luxury options built in.

Based on about 15 years as a 944 owner, I speak to the comfort but not the installation of the seats into a Z. They're good, not necessarily great, and shouldn't be that difficult to find if you live near a metro area with wrecking yards. If you're not near a source, try www.partsheaven.com/ . They dismantle Porsches and ship worldwide.

I'm putting BMW seats in my '71 Z - just installed the passenger side yesterday. Today's assignment, should I choose to accept it, is to get started on the driver's side.

Dennis

I'm going to check out some 944 seats sometime this week I believe. I'll keep you guys updated on if I get a pair and the process I go through of mounting.

On a slightly different incident, today I rolled by what I though was a junk yard with like 8 Z's in it, 2 of them had some super awesome diamond in the rough seats. One was absolutely covered in dust and sand, and upon one quick hand swipe, they were red leather!!! No tears, just dusty and dirty. Then another Z had a black leather with cloth middle inserts that had some kind of black/red/white argyle-ish pattern to it.

I wanted both sets so bad, but turned out it wasn't a junkyard, but someone's actual "yard", and the guy didn't want to sell them even though they'd obviously been sitting there for years. I was pissed.

BTW, my sig picture was taken outside of his "lot" lol.

Edited by xevenskyline

Now that's tragic. What a waste. I know a guy who has a 280 on jacks in his driveway with an exterior that isn't worth fixing but mint interior throughout and he won't sell me any of it because he wants to sell the whole car for way too much. He said he had a buyer like two months ago, but it's still there. What a waste.

• 2 weeks later...

Well gentlemen the 944 seats are in and my lower back couldn't be happier.

Installation isn't hard at all and anyone who knows their way around a drill and a sawzall could knock this out in a day.

As far as mounting goes, you'll need to drill in 3 different spots of the seat mounts in the car. Luckily for me, the holes I needed were already drilled by god knows who. But the most important part is that ONLY 3 of the 944's seats mounts will be able to be drilled into the car's stock mounts.

On both of my seats, the inner rear seat brackets stuck out past the car's stock mount. In other words, the seats mounts or wider that the car's mounts. However, the front 2 mounts are easy to measure and drill, then you can do the same for one of the rear mounts. I chose to you the outer rear mounts. Then for the inner rear mounts, I simply cut a piece of straight steel, drilled one hole to mount to the car, then another to mount to the seat.

Takes a little trial and error, but nothing any of you guys couldn't tackle.

Now for pics! They look right at home!

P.s. Sorry for the cell phone pics, wifey mispalced my camera in her cleaning spree.

dykidt.jpg

33affhk.jpg

All in all, the price to get these thrown in were just $100 for the seats. I had a drill and sawzall laying around as well as some spare steal. So far I love the way they feel. I only wish I could've gotten the turbo version seats with the bigger bolsters.

Sure didn't, but I'll try to explain the best I can. Luckily the way they're designed makes it very easy to just measure and drill.

Without the rails, it has 4 seperate squarish tabs that each has its own pre-tapped hole. Either way, each of those tabs measure about 4-5 in long and 2-3 wide. Its really convenient for mounting rails that aren't made for those seats.