HybridZ

hi-speed early Z aero recommendations ??

Guest Al 260Z

Guest Al 260Z

Any feedback to help me decide on aero improvements to my 260 would be most appreciated. I'm looking to top 150 MPH w/ norm asp L6 engine. Think I can easily top 130 after getting my drive and half-shafts balanced without any aero mods.

Interesting post below about trimming rain gutter off top of car. This must remove a lot of drag. Also noted remarks on headlight covers. I buy recommendation that Nismo units are better than MSA. Most of their stuff is, just a $ question (I've found Nismo cheaper by far than MSA on Ferrodo green brake shoes).

Saw a discussion at Zcar that minimal spoilers like BRE style are optimal for max speed: Some spoiler action to counter normal Z lift will reduce drag. Too much downforce might help improve track times on road course due to increased grip on corners, but will actually increase drag and reduce top end speed.

Anyone have numbers on old Z drag coefficient?? What have you guys found in terms of max top end speed due to various aero options??

Thanks in advance ! ------------- Al

Guest Anonymous

I believe the CD is something like .42 or .45 its not a barn door, but not exactly a LSR car either. Several members with Hybrid V8 swaps have been to 150 or more without becoming pilots, however good sense usually prevailed and they backed out of it. icon_smile.gif

There was a lengthy discussion recently about aerodynamics and the sum of it was whether things like belly pans should be used. A couple of the rocket scientist (I kid you not, this forum has REAL rocket scientist icon_eek.gif !) felt without much windtunnel testing such things could be potentially dangerous. Do a search under 'Bellypan' I believe it is and you'll see the archive discussion of it, it has quite a few diffent possible mod's discussed if memory serves.

Good luck with your project,

Lone

Yup listen to lone, he knows! icon_smile.gif From what I recall the early Z had a Cd of 0.44, or 0.45. Better than the dodge 'clownshoe' viper, but not great.

Look through the high tech forum for discussions on aerodynamics, we have covered this a fair bit.

Yeah, that was "Belly Pans for Increased Aerodynamics" or something of that nature. Only 68 posts long, it should only take 1/2 hour to read it! Hehe.

Lone brought up some good valid points and it pains me to know that the Z is almost a barn door when it comes to aerodynamics. The shape is so alluring I frankly don't care too much about the AD since I won't be doing over 140mph anyway. The idea of flight in a car scares me! Anyway, good luck with your venture and keep the air from getting under the car!

Davy

Guest Anonymous

that reminds me you guys, I posted the question in one of my earlier threads but we centered one one of the other points the the post.

Does anybody know the CD for the 280zx?? also mybe some of you brains out there can help point me in the right direction for good reading on the science of aerodynamics icon_smile.gif I plan on building a fiberglass (possibly carbonfiber if $$$ allows it) tilting front unit for my car and i planned on rescuplting the lines a little bit to help with engine cooling and CD. I would REALLY like to NOT mess up and make the car worse than it was before from a drag point of view and also that way i can incorporate the airdam, chin splitter, etc into one nice package icon_smile.gif

Your best bet is to go to a library and do a search on aerodynamics, or order from one of the online book stores after searching. I've read a bunch about this issue, but at 0730 in the morning none of the titles is coming to mind.

Now, onto the other discussion, I had a 1974 260Z that I was able to get to 168mph without aid of turbos, supercharges or the big blue bottle. I used high HP, relatively high gearing and a 3 mile long straight with a buddy holding a radar gun at the other end. We set up comms with cell phones to make sure this little test wouldn't land me in jail and it was done at night to add to the stealth nature of our test. It also added a bigger danger factor. The car got to 168mph using headlight covers, a cowl induction hood, the msa front spoiler/bumper combo, with the msa side skirts and rear bumper/valance kit. Every panel on that kit showed stress at the seem between the body and the panel after that run. Most recently I had my v8 Z up to 155 with no trouble at all, in 6th gear pushing 3750RPMs and the rear whale tail showed stress cracks at the seam next to the rear hatch. Lots of presure is applied against these panels when going full tilt boogie.

If you plan to go that fast in an L6, be forewarned, I had over 6K$$$ in head work on that motor. Thank GOD it was a sponsore who did the work...I only paid for parts!

Goodluck!

Mike icon_cool.gif