HybridZ

Where are my mirrors?

Guest Neil

This may sound stupid, but I went down to the shop where my car gets worked on, and after drooling over it for a while, I realized that I had no side mirrors. It's not like they were stolen or anything, they weren't there when I bought the car and towed it off the lot. Now that my car is getting close to drivable, i've got to be thinking about things like that. Do you know that I've owned my Z for almost a month and have only sat in it once! Anyway, I want to get new mirrors soon and want to know what my options are outside of stock. I read that someone was wanting to put '87 Maxima mirrors on theirs. Now I have not seen how these mirrors attatch to the car, but i'm thinking that they are not attatched to the door, rather that they are in the corner of the window. I could be wrong since i have not seen them. Could you guys fill me in on what i can do, if anything, to have corner mounted mirrors. I've spoted some mirrors on a Celica GT that i'd like to use if possible.

I'm doing this with some Tercel DX Mirrors. I'm using a triangular piece of steel sheet to fit into the corner, most likely glued to the window frame and stainless trim strip on the door. To this the mirror is bolted. I'm going to use one of those high performance 2 part epoxies. Bolting to those parts of the car is problematic.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Guest Anonymous

Pete,

Every played with the POR15 epoxy? Great stuff. I am not sure that is as adhesive as you would need for your application but I love the stuff and look for any chance to talk about it icon_smile.gif

Two part, water soluble epoxy that you work with using your bare hand and water. Another POR product that simply amazes me.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Aren't those kind of 'square'? I want mirrors in the corners of my windows too, but I want something a little sportier looking. I really like the ones on my 3rd gen Prelude (88-91). I'd like to try to make something like that fit -- they're much more rounded than what msa sells, and they get narrow where they attach to the door... know what I mean? http://splorg.org/~b/prelude/ppics/waxes.jpg

Hmm.. Ok, those aren't terribly round... but I like em. Maybe something of of a z32 instead..? icon_smile.gif

I want something sort of round and fluid looking like the RX7 with LED turn signals in them. Mike/SCCA was going to try and use late model Miata mirrors and that sounded pretty good to me - Mike any progress?

My mirrors look like weathered garbage... icon_rolleyes.gif

I wanted those MSA mirrors too, but yeah.. pricey indeed! I had a problem getting mirrors because most of them had a flat mounting surface and the Z door is curved at that spot. I ended up using power mirrors from a 83ZX they mounted up quite nicely. icon_cool.gif

Do ZX mirrors swap on well? Duh, I never thgought of that! I know where I might be able to get some too! Are they power or anything? What about the 300ZX - were those corner mounted mirrors or door mounted? I kind of want to keep mine door mounted since I've already got gaping holes there... icon_rolleyes.gif

Hrm, stupid question but has anyone got a good pic of a ZX that I oculd see mirrors in? This might solve my mirror dillema - thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Just copied this over from the other mirror post...

I have a set of mid 70's Camaro/Firebird remote mirrors on my 240. IMHO, these mirrors are made for these cars! You can even mount the remote adjusters in the door panels. This is a nice setup with lines that closely match the rest of the car. Mine are black now, but will be painted body color on the repaint. Not a very good photo, but for what it's worth...

redz1.jpg

Mike C,

Your mirrors look very nice on the car! Style seems right at home too. If you can post a pic showing the remote control on the inside of the door...now that would be something many of us would like to see; where you routed it and what the install looks like. Thanks.

Davy

More pics please, something closer up and from the side would be MUCH appreciated! I like those mirrors and always wondered how they would look on the Z. A friend had them on his Chevelle and they looked great. Details on how you mounted them would also be VERY much appreciated. I need to do this but am very apprehensive never having monkeyed with mirrors before - corner mount mystifies me for some reason. How it work?

I'll see if I can get some more photos. I have not mounted the remote yet in this car, but it was done in my last '72. It is a flat chrome plate that surface mounts and only requires a 1/2" hole for the remote cable and two sheet metal screw in the door. The mounting plate for the mirror can either be screwed on with two sheet metal screws or pop riveted. Then one screw holds the mirror to the plate. Take a cordless drill to the boneyard to remove pop rivets on passenger side. Drivers usually screwed on. These mirrors are very common on 70-81 CAmaros and firebirds. They fit much better on the door than the corvette mirrors and are cheaper! I used a chassis punch to put the larger center hole that the mirror remote cable runs through.

Nice car, Mike, and welcome to the group!

I've got a set of 1984 Camaro mirrors that are going on my Z as soon as I can get the thing painted!!! I think they look very nice, with a very aerodynamic look to them. The only issue is that they were made to fit a convex curved door, and the Datsun mirrors rest in a concave. A 4" grinder used on the mirror pedestal took care of that issue nicely. Since the mirror housings are aluminum it loaded up the grinding wheel, but that was of small consequence.

These mid 80's F-body mirrors (also found on the Fiero, I think) look too large when they're off the car, but if you tuck them in a bit closer to the side glass when you fit them, they look like they were made for the Z.

I'll post pictures when I FINALLY get them painted and on the car. Maybe a week away, if the Bondo Gods are listening?

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: RPMS ]

This is just another reason why I wanted to see your car RPMS. I'm half tempted to run over to the bone yard right now as I've been wanting to get new mirrors and couldn't decide which ones to get. You just made up my mind. I've still got some film left that I need to get developed soon. (hint hint)

Ooooh, they mount to the door and NOT the glass! Better an dbetter for me icon_biggrin.gif I do believe I may be looking for a set fo these - much nicer than th efaded junk I've got. My mirrors are THE ugliest part of my car right now! icon_sad.gif

Thank you for posting more pics - much appreciated!