HybridZ

MSA ZG Flare orientation

deja

I just got some MSA ZG flares. I am confused about which is the right and which is the left on the rears. I have tried both ways and to tell the truth neither looks right! Never have figured out why Datsun designed the wheel wells to not be centered. Anyway is the wide part of the top of these flares supposed to be toward the front or toward the rear? I looked at a lot of picts and read Austin awesome write-up but I am still confused.

The wide part should be towards the front. I had no problem distinguishing between the left and right flares for the front, but I found that it was really difficult to tell the difference between the left and right side rear flares when just holding them in front of me. However, when I tried both flares on the same side of the car, with them properly clamped in place, it quickly became obvious which side was which.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I was thinking that with the wide part to the front it looked more right. That's the first pict I have seen that really makes it clear. Thanks for keeping me sane, I was really having doubts!

Edited by deja

Yeah, the fronts are pretty obvious. I thought I had the rears right but then started second guessing myself. The cut line would be much different and don't want to screw that up!

The wide part should be towards the front. I had no problem distinguishing between the left and right flares for the front, but I found that it was really difficult to tell the difference between the left and right side rear flares when just holding them in front of me. However, when I tried both flares on the same side of the car, with them properly clamped in place, it quickly became obvious which side was which.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Sorry, I don't want to threadjack, but what size tires do you have on the rear, and have you had any rubbing issues?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

285/45/15 the tire measures 12" across with a tape measurer, I have about an inch or two travel before the tire rubs the fender, I didn't trim the fenders in the back because the flares dont quite cover the tires, id rather hit the steel than rip the flares off for now. I havn't driven the car enough to know if there will be rubbing issues

I had the same problem. I know MSA stuff usually has to be forced to fit, but I was quite disappointed in my flares' fit and overall condition. I have yet to mount them, I am sure I'll get them to look good, it is just going to be more work than I had hoped.

I hear ya. I have purchased 3 fiberglass items from MSA, rear 240Z bumper, type-1 air dam and these flares. I have had to "adjust' all of them. The biggest issues are too thin gel coat and even some stress cracks right out of the box. But I know firberglass is not an exact science for mass production and need "adjustments" to make them work. In hindsite I wish I had gone with Z creation for the flares, but its too late now and who knows if their stuff is realy any better.

I had the same problem. I know MSA stuff usually has to be forced to fit, but I was quite disappointed in my flares' fit and overall condition. I have yet to mount them, I am sure I'll get them to look good, it is just going to be more work than I had hoped.

• 4 weeks later...

Upon further inspection of my flares I found that the driver side front flare is a good 2 inches longer than the passenger side. I held them back to back, expecting them to be mirror images of each other and the holes do not line up and they are noticeably different in size. I realize that fiberglass products can vary from one to the another, but the flares are so unacceptably different it is ridiculous. MSA is going to be getting a call tomorrow.

Did anyone else run into anything like this with the flares?