HybridZ

Fiberglass body parts

Tim240z

Guest Anonymous

Unfortunately Tim, the answer to your question is YES they are that bad. I don't know if you realize this or not but you must buy over$1000 worth of Glass products before he will ship you anything. I installed a rear clip with the race falares and the quality was marginal at best. The parts he sells really need to be installed by a very competent body man as there is a lot of littles things that will need to be worked. Sorry to say that I haven't seen one anywhere else but you might mention to MikeK that youd like one as he is building fiberglass parts for Z cars.

I have looked at the Arizona Z web site, and I like their glass body parts, especially the Pantera hatch and front fenders and hood. I did a search and have found some unflattering comments on Arizona Z, both quality issues and customer service. Are there any other places to get these kind of parts, esp. the Pantera hatch? I would like to find a place in So.Cal. so that I can pick up and not get ripped a new one for shipping. Is the Arizona Z stuff that bad? Does anyone have anything good to say about them?

Thanks for the info....

Tim

Guys,

Here is the scoop on Dave at Arizona Zcar:

Dave was THE ONLY GUY who stepped up to the plate back in the late 80s and started making race car parts for Zs. Throughout the early 90s Dave sold parts without a limit, answered phones, and tons and tons of questions from people who had no money, no skills to build cars on their own, and nothing but questions that tied up his days. Rather than get work done in his shop, many days he would sit answering questions for potential customers. Bottom line is that over the years Dave got beat down by the business and some of the customers. Yes, Dave's parts require you to finish in the parts. Yes, they require competent body work experience. Many people ordered his parts, got them in the mail, and then declined the charges on the parts, stiffing him in the long run, as someone paid to box and ship the parts, which took materials and time away from the shop. I have several of Dave's catelogs (One of the older ones sold tube chassis for Zs!) and everywhere in the catelog he states that the parts require installation by a competent mechanic. Dave suffered from buyers being WAY to excited about finding parts for Zs and not reading the small print. It has become his undoing. Dave has since become curt on the phone, and refuses to sell his parts for less than the required minimum amount to cover shipping expenses, time and materials.

Yes he is difficult to deal with, and last I heard, Dave wanted out of the fiberglass side of the business. However, I can certainly understand how he got there. 10 years of dealing with what he has dealt with might very well make me cranky too!

Tim, I'm currently working a deal with someone to possibly start making fiberglass parts over the winter, but I work slow, so be patient. I know that fiberglass hatches are hot items, so I'll keep you in mind when we start.

Mike icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Frank Rich

Mike, I have to agree 100% with your assessment of Dave. I've spoken with him a number of times over a three-four year period, and he's not the jerk that a lot of people portray him to be - he's just tired of dealing with a lot of folks who don't understand the realities of custom fiberglass work on a very limited production basis. Yes, his parts do - as he clearly states in his catalogue - require the skills of an experienced body man for good fitting and proper finish. And no, he will not ship f'glass orders of less than $1,000.00 - mainly because he builds shipping crates out of plywood and 1x4s or 2x4s, depending on the size and weight of the parts to be shipped - no cardboard boxes that leave you with cracked and broken parts due to the tender mercies of some ham-handed freight handlers! By the time you figure in labor and materials, it probably costs Dave well over $100.00 to ship the minimum order.

That will eat your profit margin up in a hurry - especially if you're a small, custom shop doing one-off projects. And yes, I know from personal experience that in the past Dave has spent hours on the phone with customers, helping with specific problems or just "talking Z". The guy has done some remarkable things, and like all of us, he's far from perfect. I personally have a serious case of lust for one of his twin turbo hoods, and I would really like to see about putting together a group buy for anyone else who is interested in a TT hood (or any of his other f'glass parts)- as long as we all recognize exactly what we're getting into - and it may take some serious talking to convince Dave to get the pieces produced, because as Mike stated, he's really tired of all the hassles, and wants out of the f'glass end of it. icon_sad.gif

"Lead me not into Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input guys,

It is nice to hear both sides of the story. I think I will call AZ -Z for myself and get the scoop.....Again thanks for the unemotional response, all the things that I have read before have been pretty charged.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I live about 45 minutes from Dave, and i have frequently visited his shop. Not only did i not realize that dave was dependent on his Z 'shop' but he seemed to be looking for a buy. Anyways, i still like daves products because of their quality he is just sometimes a pain to work with. I guess i know why now.

I remember his old tube chassis - talk about sweet! However while I understand his reason for being grouchy it IS turning away business. We ALL have bad days but to be short with customers is inexcusable. I wanted hsi glass bumpers and because he was short with me I bought them elsewhere. He lost a sale - period. I wanted a 'glass hood - I didn't even bother calling him after the previous experience. In the future I may want flares and other parts, I won't call him. I wanted bigger brakes, same thing. He was rude to me once and made it sound like a bother to even speak to me! I know it's a tough business but he picked it and if he'd been helpful he would've made money off of me. A friend owns a Mustang shop, I see the window shoppers come in ALL the time. He's got an attitude because of it too but for now it's not hurting him because of the demand - Arizona doesn't have that luxury Im afraid. icon_sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I've been wanting one of the hatches for "AWHILE", but the $1000.00 minimum scared me off.If any one is up for a "GROUP BUY",put me down for one.....Mike ,are you taking committed orders yet ?

I am probably going to get a bunch of stuff, probably over a grand, so if you want to tack on to the order....feel free. I won't be ready until later this year (not long since it's almost over already)....unless you are going to be ready by that time Mike?

Tim icon_cool.gif