HybridZ

300zx shifter problem

catfat

Hi eveyone im glad to say that i can join the 300zx owners club! I bought one last week and i love it and everything is fine untill today... Tonight when i was driving on the freeway in 5th gear i went to downshift into 4th and i heard like a little clink sound and the shifter got a little loose. I got off the freeway and like when i pull on the shifter i can lift it up a little now. When in 1st 3rd and 5th if i dont hold it forward it falls a little bit and clanks around. I can shift into all gears still its just that I have to hold it because it wants to fall or depress downward when inbetween gears or when in 1 3 5.

Has anyone had this problem also? Im hoping its just some part of the linkage that come loose or maybe something that snapped but can be repared.

Any ideas guys?

Have you attempted to solve your problem, before posting the question on the internet? Have you even looked at the shifter to determine if anything is askew visually? google image, z32 shifter and compare how your shifter looks compared to others. i may sound like an *******, but it sounds like you put more effort into making a thread, then solving your problem.

Have you attempted to solve your problem, before posting the question on the internet? Have you even looked at the shifter to determine if anything is askew visually? google image, z32 shifter and compare how your shifter looks compared to others. i may sound like an *******, but it sounds like you put more effort into making a thread, then solving your problem.

It just happend to me about 30 min ago and im not about to go out right now and tear my car apart i just wanted to know if anyone else maybe had this problem so i could sleep a little easier tonight

It just happend to me about 30 min ago and im not about to go out right now and tear my car apart i just wanted to know if anyone else maybe had this problem so i could sleep a little easier tonight

If thats the case, the shifter itself sits outside the trans and is mounted to a U-shaped bracket, which is held to the trans with four bolts. my guess is that the bolts on the right side came loose, or the bolts holding the shift level to the bracket are loose.

Edited by hoov100

If thats the case, the shifter itself sits outside the trans and is mounted to a U-shaped bracket, which is held to the trans with four bolts. my guess is that the bolts on the right side came loose, or the bolts holding the shift level to the bracket are loose.

Thanks I will be sure to look and see if thats the case in the morning when I can have some daylight to look at it I hope its just a case of something being loose and not something being broken.