HybridZ

4.8 swaps?

I did a search and it came up with no results. Just thought i'd ask to see if anyone has done one and had good results? Its dirt cheap LSx and from what i've seen in the trucks, you can still make some pretty good power out of them.

The 4.8 shares the same block (and bore) of the 5.3. The 4.8 just uses a shorter stroke crankshaft. I have never personally run one because the 5.3's are more common for the same (or less) money and make more power.

However I have swapped several 5.3 and 6.0 truck engines into other makes/models, including 2 S30's (one being my own).

As cheap and abundant as the 5.3 and even 6.0 engines have become, why not just use one of them? The 5.3 is only down on power from and LS1 by 10%, which can be more than made up for with a cam swap. (because 400 horse is the new 300 horse :) ) Locally, I can pick up a 100K mile 5.3 for $3-400.

If you want to make a high RPM screamer, then a 4.8 with an upgraded valve train might be just what you need.

I was able to source an LS1 from a friend of mine for next to nothing, so I'm just accumulating parts till the fall to do the ol swap.

Sorry for the pseudo thread jack.

As cheap and abundant as the 5.3 and even 6.0 engines have become, why not just use one of them? The 5.3 is only down on power from and LS1 by 10%, which can be more than made up for with a cam swap. (because 400 horse is the new 300 horse :) ) Locally, I can pick up a 100K mile 5.3 for $3-400.

If you want to make a high RPM screamer, then a 4.8 with an upgraded valve train might be just what you need.

I was able to source an LS1 from a friend of mine for next to nothing, so I'm just accumulating parts till the fall to do the ol swap.

Sorry for the pseudo thread jack.

If you do not mind, can you help me acquire the parts I need? I want a a V8 in my Z, preferably a LT engine but on the cheap. I search ebay but I just do not know what all I need or what would work. I can pay you for your time as well if it works out. Thank you so much.

If you do not mind, can you help me acquire the parts I need? I want a a V8 in my Z, preferably a LT engine but on the cheap. I search ebay but I just do not know what all I need or what would work. I can pay you for your time as well if it works out. Thank you so much.

The cheapest / easiest way to do a V8 conversion is to put in a SBC (small block chevy) Those engines are VERY plentiful, as they were put in everything from cars to vans to trucks from the 1960's until 1999. That being said, the newer engines (LS family) are much more desirable in my opinion, because they are much more efficient, and make more power. Any V8 is going to impress you in one of these cars, as they are pretty light. If carbs are you specialty, then i would suggest a SBC. If you're into computers and cutting edge technology, go with a 5.3 vortec engine.

Here's a generic stand-alone swap harness for an LS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04-LS1-LS6-NEW-Standalone-Wiring-Harness-w-4L60E_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a029575e9QQitemZ180431975913QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you want some help / advice, go no further than LS1tech.com . It is far and away the best resource for these engines.

Here is the swap section on said website

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

You could spend days or years trying to read all the info on here.

Other great websites for datsun swaps are

http://www.johnscars.com/

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

do your research, make a goal, and stick with it.

Hope this helps a little, sorry for the novel

Thank you. Honestly I have no idea about carburetors and I am quite honestly nervous even thinking about it. I believe I would prefer a LS or LT engine. I called around local salvage yards and found some sbc 350's for sale but the cheapest was one that has not been run in years and a rebuild was recommended and was still $700.

I do not want to thread hijack or ask to many questions that have already been answered in the forum so I will stop here and try to research some more. All I can say is I am looking for a chevy V8 with a manual trans on the cheap. I am not unrealistic and thinking it can be done for $300 but I would be ok with the $1300 range. I am not even looking for insane power, just would like to do it myself.

Thank you. Honestly I have no idea about carburetors and I am quite honestly nervous even thinking about it. I believe I would prefer a LS or LT engine. I called around local salvage yards and found some sbc 350's for sale but the cheapest was one that has not been run in years and a rebuild was recommended and was still $700.

I do not want to thread hijack or ask to many questions that have already been answered in the forum so I will stop here and try to research some more. All I can say is I am looking for a chevy V8 with a manual trans on the cheap. I am not unrealistic and thinking it can be done for $300 but I would be ok with the $1300 range. I am not even looking for insane power, just would like to do it myself.

well here's an idea, start your own thread

Yes I did a 4.8. After installing a new cam, a litle head work, and some headers, It was putting out a little over 320 horse power. I used the mounting kit from johns cars, and headers, air filter, radiator from JTR. I went this way because you get just as much power out of the 4.8 as the LS1 for way cheaper, and it runs on regular unleaded instead of premium. And best of all, I get between 28 to 30 miles per gallon. Good Luck