HybridZ

Starting my Project

New to the forum... thought I should start a thread to introduce myself and of course my car. She is a 1975 Datsun 280z, engine is original but it was originally an auto and has a swapped in 5 speed. This is my first Z and very excited... the car is super rust free, one spot on the pass frame rail but the floors, hatch and strut towers are clean.

I bought it smoking and running super rich. I fixed one injector, adjusted the idle and she only smokes now once she gets hot. So for short trips so I don't mind, and I will keep figuring out the motor (I need mechanics since I don't do a lot of that serious motor work).

Suspension and brakes all worked and I am working on just small projects for now before I jump knee deep into updates and upgrades. Working on the dash wiring as the center console was out, missing radio and no HVAC bezel when I got her. I have started buying parts and fixing small things so far.

Hope she turns into a fun project...

4.jpg

5.jpg

I started a blog to follow the project as well... figured it might be fun to be able to look back to day one. Link in my sig. I have been autocrossing for 6 years now with several clubs. Got competitive in SCCA with my former 2002 SpecV and looking forward to taking this Z out there for some fun.

Thanks for the future help everyone!

• 1 month later...

Quick Update:

Mechanical

Fixed Trans Leak (driveshaft and missing cap on shifter assembly)

Replaced #1 injector

K&N Air Filter

New Plugs

Distributor rotor and cap, thermostat (Ordered but not installed yet)

Cosmetic

Removed bumpers (still need to get the shock absorbers off).

Working on audio (came with no radio)

Collected nearly all black interior pieces (came with half butterscotch)

Installed new wheels - 16x8 XXR wheels with Kumho AST Tires in 225/50

Couple Pics: More on my website: New Rims

post-8628-12752254840073_thumb.jpg

Edited by cruceno21

• 2 weeks later...

It rubs in the rear... on big bumps or hard cornering. It is not bad though so I am not overly worried about it. I have had cars rub worse, I even did an autocross this weekend and where it rubs was barely even a mark of rubber removed.

It rubs in the rear... on big bumps or hard cornering. It is not bad though so I am not overly worried about it. I have had cars rub worse, I even did an autocross this weekend and where it rubs was barely even a mark of rubber removed.

Be careful with that tire rubbing. The 72 springs I think are smaller for the person above in question, don't quote me on that though. Looks good, oh and thanks for shopping with Discount tire. You know we could have ordered the wheels from xxr for you right?

Yeah! That's a pretty nice looking 75'! I'm digging the color. I'm going to change mine to red, but haven't found the perfect shade yet. Though I've got a few in the running. Smokes a little eh? What grade of oil do you have in it? 10/30 should be working pretty well. If someone put synthetic in it, it might smoke a little since that stuff is thinner than most. Have you checked compression and leakdown to diagnose?

Phar

I check compression and it was fine. It was running 10/30 syn when I got it, and I am running 15/50 right now and that helps a lot. I just notice it more I think because the fumes all get sucked into the car. I am going to redo the taillight panel and try to seal it up better. I still want to get the motor rebuilt, but she runs fine and strong so I am letting it ride a little for now while I fix other items.

• 2 weeks later...